Help

BusyBoard

How do you hold students accountable?

>

GiantSubs

How do you hold students accountable?
Old 12-06-2017, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My P is investigating getting rid of AR next year. I don't love everything about the program, but I do like that it helps me hold the kids responsible for reading outside of class. I set individual reading ranges and monitor comprehension rates using the AR/STAR information, and I evaluate their progress every quarter and adjust as necessary. I see growth over the course of the year with this system, and I'm concerned about I would measure that without AR.

For those that don't do AR, how do you measure comprehension and hold your children accountable? How do you measure growth? I don't believe in reading logs, as I know many parents will just fill and sign whether the child reads or not. I'm departmentalized with up to 66 kids, so a daily or weekly journal/write back and forth thing isn't going to work. I need something that won't take up much class time, as I don't get enough of that as it is - I teach 3 subjects in the same time frame my partners only teach 2

I've seen the 40 book challenge information, and that's interesting. Rather than a program, I'm more interested in how you hold them accountable and judge whether they're growing as readers since you can't possibly test every child on individual books. I do 4 class novel activities a year using 3 books at a time, so we're doing some leveled reading that I can assess, but that doesn't seem like it would be frequent enough.

GiantSubs is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-06-2017, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do 2 things:
1) 40 book challenge, but I’m hugely overhauling it next year to get more buy in from the kids and make it more reasonable. 40 books is just too many for my 3rd graders. I really want to focus on quality and reading a wide range of genres.

2) I do Reader’s Response. They do it during Work on Writing time. I bought Response menus from Not So wimpy teacher on TpT. It’s taken forever to train them, but I can see who’s understanding, who’s growing, who’s picking good fit books and who’s a train wreck. I respond to all of their responses (they’re not that long, which is why I like her menus) and I take a grade a month (one week a month) for an actual grade.

I’m sure there are other, better systems, but I really feel like mine holds them accountable without making a crap ton of work for me. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 12-06-2017, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also do a few things.

1. Status of the class. One the kids are trained, it goes very quickly. Give information about who is reading what, and if the books are just right books. (or if kids are completely off task) This doesn't give me comprehension information, but it gives me a great place to start a conversation if I notice a kid is not moving on page numbers, or flying through books very quickly.

I know you said that you don't want a written response, but I'm guessing you're teaching reading, writing, and maybe social studies? Is there any way you could have the kids written reading response also count for a writing grade? I think it's important in the upper elementary grades to have kids write about their reading because the two skills really do go hand in hand.

2. I also have the kids do a written response. I used the reading menus that Greyhound mentioned...but since I teach fifth, I ask the kids to color code parts of their answers. (This is from another TpT resource titled Building Better Reading Responses...I think). The reading menus come with a rubric that makes it VERY quick to grade.

3. Once a week, I ask them to respond in a BHH journal to an article from NewsELA. BHH is from the book Disrupting Thinking...but gets the kids to not only summarize the text, but think about it and write about how it makes them feel and impacts them and their lives. These are generally nonfiction texts, which isn't what most of my kids this year are choosing to read.

As far as assessing readers, we are required to give the NWEA assessment 3x a year and if we have concerns we can give the Fountas & Pinnel assessment. This this how we judge growth (or lack there of).

Questions? Let me know...I'm still figuring this all out too!
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote