Help

BusyBoard

Psychic?

>

Ucan

Psychic?
Old 12-10-2017, 12:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

You guys must be psychic! Almost every post in which someone is asking for help seems to lack basic demographic information that would be germane to the problem: students' age, grade level, population (i.e. gen. ed./spec. ed.), special ed. program, class size. Invariably, responses come pouring in with specific recommendations and advice that are apparently appropriate for all grades, K-12.

For example, take the latest post on Paraphrasing. After a brief description that includes nothing about the reading and writing levels of the students, up comes an enthusiastic detailed response. In this case, the member's profile doesn't list any grade level, but since the username includes a 4, can we assume that this is for fourth grade? Even so, are most students reading at grade level or are they functioning below grade level (by as much as 1-3 years).

Why don't teachers provide detailed information in their original posts? Are they afraid of being recognized by their colleagues? I don't get it.

Ucan is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Old 12-10-2017, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We do get to know each other by reading and posting often. And giving the reading and writing levels is the perfect way to solicite useful suggestions.

Many of us ARE cautious about what we put on our profile, as this is a safe place to not only get academic suggestions, but help with social and emotional issues as well. Being a bit anonymous makes it feel safer to share.

Did I answer your question? I see you're kind of new- hope you are benefiting from all the expertise and wisdom from this amazing group of colleagues!

If you want to really get to know someone, you can send a Private Message so it's just between you and them. Welcome to PT!

Last edited by Munchkins; 12-10-2017 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: Typo
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

GiantSubs

It's always hard to read tone
Old 12-10-2017, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

But, I have to say that your first paragraph reads a little rough. I'm going to assume that as a new person to PT, you simply wanted to know how it works, so here you go

No, we aren't psychic, and in many cases, do have to ask for more clarification before we answer. But just as items on TPT sometimes indicate they are good for grades 3-5, which is a pretty broad range of different abilities, some questions on here are general enough to get a general answer, as was the case with the paraphrasing question. Once you're here a bit longer, you will get to know certain posters better than others, and you can always click on the name to see if more information, like grade level or location, is available. If you'd like to offer some advice or answer something and feel you need more information to do so, you can always ask for clarification.

One of the best parts of PT is that we can retain a sense of anonymity because, as a PP said, we do post more than academic questions on here. Sometimes posters leave out specific details in order to get a wide range of opinions, and in cases like that, people who answer will say things like, "In grade 5, I...."

I hope that helps! Welcome to PT
GiantSubs is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Specifics
Old 12-10-2017, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As someone who has taught grades K-7, IMO there are many issues that apply across grade levels.

Things like evaluations, co-teaching, planning and testing are pretty universal for most American teachers if not across other countries.

As far as grade-level specifications, even with common core and other standards-based initiatives, grade-level experiences and expectations can very greatly even in relatively small geographical areas.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 12-10-2017, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with a previous poster that your first paragraph is a bit rough, and snarky.

One of the best things about PT is that there are teachers from all over - different demographics, different age groups, different styles, different grade levels, etc.

Quote:
For example, take the latest post on Paraphrasing. After a brief description that includes nothing about the reading and writing levels of the students, up comes an enthusiastic detailed response. In this case, the member's profile doesn't list any grade level, but since the username includes a 4, can we assume that this is for fourth grade? Even so, are most students reading at grade level or are they functioning below grade level (by as much as 1-3 years).
My thinking on this: The fact that people are offering advice from different grade levels takes into account the different reading levels, developmental levels of students. If I teach 3rd grade and a Kindergarten teacher comments, that comment may be helpful for my lower level students. If a 5th grade teacher replies, that information may be great for my higher students.

I do not take the replies to mean that they can be applied for any age group. But there may be a piece there that I can use in my classroom, with my students.

choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 12-10-2017, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I don't get it.
The OP is usually posting an abbreviated issue due to limited time. PT is a wonderful site because each thread suits the members posting. Ucan, no doubt your future posts will be detailed and suit your needs. Meanwhile, the abbreviated posts will do for many PT members and they will "get it".

Welcome to PT, Ucan... a site with imperfect educators, posting imperfect questions and receiving imperfect answers.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Oops!
Old 12-10-2017, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sorry if you found my comments to be rough and snarky - I didn't mean to offend anyone. Thanks for reminding me that many people here are familiar with each other, especially after many years of participating in PT. The forum is a great way for teachers to support each other!

Gromit

Old 12-10-2017, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The question was “does anyone have ideas that work for them?” I posted a lesson that works for me. The OP is free to determine whether that will work for her or not.

If you do not like my response, don’t take my advice. There’s no need to create an entirely new post to criticize it.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Ucan

Old 12-10-2017, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

All points well taken. Can we move on now?

wildflowerz

Old 12-10-2017, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
All points well taken. Can we move on now?
Usually not!

Sometimes people will read the original question, skim the responses, and then post their own. Some don't skim because they don't have time and will go straight to a response.

People will respond because they have a different perspective, want to clarify a their previous response, or support the response of another poster.

I always think, the more the better. The diversity of people and thoughts make this a great place to gather info and learn different viewpoints.

wildflowerz is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-10-2017, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
Usually not!
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote