Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

EL Class

>

mrteacherguy

EL Class
Old 12-11-2017, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a science teacher, desperately hoping to get back to teaching math next year (I am realizing that while I like learning about science, I don't want to teach it at an elementary school level).

As a science teacher, I am also tasked with being considered an "EL" teacher as well. My focus is supposed to be on Oral Language and Vocabulary. In fact, when I have my EL group, the science content is supposed to take a back seat to the ELP (the Oral Language and Vocabulary) standards.

As someone who loves to read and write, but is NOT a language arts teacher by any stretch of the imagination, does anyone have suggestions or insight on how to teach the EL class their oral language and vocabulary without having to design completely different lessons for that class? I already have to scrounge up a lot of my own materials and lessons, and I'd really rather not have to do it for a whole different class. Honestly, I thought that going over and reviewing all of our science vocabulary words that we have during our different units would count as "vocabulary" for the EL kids.

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

looks_inside

Same Same
Old 04-25-2018, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Bump. I am interested to hear suggestions as well. I have ELs in my classroom as well. Props to the non-native speakers because I inevitably channel my direction towards native speakers and unintentionally neglect the ELs needs.
looks_inside is offline   Reply With Quote