Help

BusyBoard

Need some brainstorming--learning math facts

>

teacherwriter

Need some brainstorming--learning math facts
Old 12-12-2017, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Without getting into details, I am looking for tactile and kinesthetic ways to help students securely learn their math facts. Got any good ideas or tried-and-true activities? Pass 'em along, please!

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 12-12-2017, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

we practice our times tables every day for 5-10 minutes at the start of math. i have them focus on 6's for several weeks then move to 7's, 8's, 9's, and then 12's. we do something different every day.

a couple activities:
*arrays: i cut a piece of grid paper to the appropriate size for the factor--i think the size of the squares is .5 cetimeter??? kids are in pairs; each have their own paper, they take turns rolling a die marked 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 12. whatever they roll, they outline that many rows of 6's. then they write the equation (8x6=48 inside). the person who fills up paper first is winner (or has the most when time is called)

*physical times tables. i call out problem "8x1", they call out 8, then i repeat while we draw an 8 with a part of our body. go through all the 8's.
tia is online now   Reply With Quote