Help

BusyBoard

Question for 3rd Grade Teachers

>

Song of Joy

Question for 3rd Grade Teachers
Old 12-13-2017, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does your school or curriculum have an expectation regarding how much time 3rd grade students read aloud to an adult, either teacher or aide? If so, does this change if they are a Tier 2 reader?

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

readnteach13

Old 12-13-2017, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in 4th, but all grade levels at my school are expected to read at least 30 minutes a day. For 1st and lower, it can be an adult reading to a child, but for 2nd and higher, we expect the child to read to an adult, or to themselves. It can also be broken down-so maybe 10 minutes when they get home, 10 minutes after dinner, and 10 minutes before bed. This is the same for every tier.
readnteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

No Change...
Old 12-13-2017, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A third grade, tier 2 reader is going to read to an adult whatever the intervention teacher assigned during intervention time.

The assigned reading will take about 15 minutes.

On days when the child does not have intervention, the child gets to have a choice but must choose something at his/her guided reading level and read aloud to an adult.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

TaffyFL

No requirement
Old 12-13-2017, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We do not have any requirement from our district, school, or curriculum about third graders reading aloud to an adult. We follow the Reading Units of Study, which are big on independent reading, so we have that written into our third grade schedules. During intervention, we use guided reading and strategy lessons, which incorporate some reading aloud.
TaffyFL is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Philosophy + Intervention
Old 12-13-2017, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach second, but our third does the same thing.
Intervention time for Tier 2ís is at an instructional level in small group. Tier 3 must meet 1:1 with the Title teacher for 30 min./day. If in Tier 1, students are split into various skill based groups or enrichment groups. These are small in the Fall, but outweigh the other groups by Spring. These are our district requirements.

As teachers, my grade level team believes that a true love of reading develops by students choosing books that interest them regardless of their reading level or Tier. So independent or free reading time is with books of their choosing, and are not necessarily on their level. We also have a library checkout rule of one book at your level and one book of your choice. Finally, we send home a book-in-a-bag nightly or weekly (teacher preference) to be read at home. Because I teach bilingually, there are less Spanish books available, so I do it weekly and recommend the same book is read each night for fluency.

MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote