BusyBoard

Essential questions

>

kahluablast

Essential questions
Old 12-11-2017, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just wondering:

How many of you believe that using an essential question or posting the standard you are teaching helps your students learn better?

Is there any research related to this?

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Old 12-11-2017, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have wondered the same thing many times. We have to write ours a certain way - the "I can" must include a "to" as in "I can ask and answer questions about the text to demonstrate understanding."

I sure Marzano, et al, have research to back up their claims. I teach in lower el and cannot tell a difference in the outcome for the students. I do believe it helps me focus my lessons, but I am fine with writing the lesson objective in my plan book and would gladly skip the daily display.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 12-11-2017, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Marzano claims a small study on the efficacy of this practice. This latest "shiny object " does not help at all.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-11-2017, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Iím not sure the ďI CanĒ statements are anything more than hoops we jump through.

I also have 1-4 rating scale up and I have the kids self-rate and self-reflect as we move through the scale. Iím not sure this helps them learn anymore either, but I think it makes the statements more meaningful and gives the kids more buy in.

Truthfully, are kids really learning any more or any better now than they were 15, 20, 25 years ago with SMART goals, PLCís , differentiated instruction, small group, etc? Are the things driving teachers out of teaching really helping kids learn?
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 12-12-2017, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't notice a difference at all, especially in primary. Half my kids can't even read it yet.

TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Posting standards
Old 12-12-2017, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Nope - I don't believe it does.

No idea on the research. Just the latest thing they want us to do. Makes it look as though we're being intentional I guess.?
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Loveslabs

LT and EQ
Old 12-12-2017, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yesterday there was talk of having to post both the learning target and the essential question. We already have to post the learning target.

Ugh!!!!

The learning target is just extra work for me. The kids canít repeat it as expected even when we practice it over and over and it is posted on the board with a star next to it! UGH!
Loveslabs is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-12-2017, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach K and I guarantee you my kids have given zero notice to such things. Now, I do tell them what they're learning and why. But it's general, like, "This will help you become a better reader/writer, etc."
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-12-2017, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

They are putting in our 90 day plan that one of our shortcomings and how we are going to get our kids to the next level is by making sure we post our essential questions and standards.

I agree that the teacher benefits by thinking these things through, and I try to tell my kids what we are learning and why... but I think that for 95% of them, they are not motivated by that at all, nor does it affect whether they get it or not. Actually, if the other 5% just put their eyes on the speaker, and participated in the discussion, they would get a lot more out of it...

Zia

Old 12-12-2017, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
They are putting in our 90 day plan that one of our shortcomings and how we are going to get our kids to the next level is by making sure we post our essential questions and standards.
Oh, I have standards posted...but it's just a hoop to jump through. One can argue it helps me stay on track (it really doesn't), but it doesn't benefit my kids one bit!

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Essential
Old 12-12-2017, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

As a teacher, I like the essential questions because they guide the learning from my and the kids' perspectives. I can always circle back to the question to deepen understanding. Iím not a fan of objectives for students. These should be for the teacher only.

There is a huge disagreement between the Ps, superintendent and curriculum director on which way we should focus...essential questions or objectives.

Iím constantly asking if you people want these posted, where am I to do so for the multitude of lessons I teach in one day in a manner students can see and read it from their seats? I donít have wall or white board space big enough. Iím not a single subject teacher. Realistically, I could post 10-15 objectives and esssential questions a day! I donít have time to do this.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 12-12-2017, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This b.s. where teachers get the blame for student failure has gone on for 20 years. Admins are running out of shiny toys to try out. We get admin from all the teachers that are sick of being forced to use shiny objects and latest fads. They get an admin degree and escape the toughest job of all.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-12-2017, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have standards (or I can statements) posted, but just so I get a check in a box. Sometimes the same standard is hanging until the next potential observation. They don't matter squat to the kids.

Quote:
Realistically, I could post 10-15 objectives and esssential questions a day!
How true! And they are looking for 100% on this. How in the heck is anyone going to agree to having a question posted for every lesson you do? Why would we set ourselves up for defeat?

Peaches250

Nope. Not at all.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I benefit from the standard and essential questions because it helps guide my teaching, but the students do not care. It is of no value to them. My last school we could not even use "I can" statements. We had to use the actual standard from the state.

We also had to map out our lessons on the board. This had to include the essential question, opening activity, lesson and closing. This had to be done for each content area, everyday. Of course this had no impact on the students either. It was just something else that we had to do for our evaluation.

Education is becoming pretty disheartening.
Peaches250 is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

Yes!
Old 12-12-2017, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This is a hoop we were asked to jump through four years ago. It seemed like a waste of time but I have seen improvements in my 6th grade students. I post the objective, the essential question, and focus words each day. I use whole brain teaching and my students mirror (repeat) the objective and words as a class leader reads them everyday. My students have learned to look at the board to see what we will be learning each day. I also put up a learning ladder so that students will know what to do next. In my school we also increased the rigor of academic vocabulary. These small changes can have a big impact on students.
jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

I think it helps - to a point.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I post standards each week.
What I find helpful is using objectives to explain to the students WHY we are doing what we are doing.
I often get students asking me "Why do we have to do this?" or "What's the point?"
Does it improve performance? Nope.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy3

No difference
Old 12-12-2017, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Nope, none at all, but we are required to do this. Superintendant also comes to our school and asks kids what learning objective they are working on and what their success criteria is. Seriously??????????? I do post these things and the read them to the children, but since so many of our children are very low, ELD or STC, the kids don't understand, can't verbalize appropriately, remember, or could care less.
Crazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 12-14-2017, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I hear there is research but haven't looked for it. Does it help? IMO, no. I have complained for years, that the standards are not written for the students so why should they be posted? Now, the word on the street is they can be written in kid friendly language. We have to also read the objective before and after the lesson. Doesn't always happen.

What mine like best is the daily schedule posted so they know what's coming next, like lunch or dismissal
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote