Help

BusyBoard

Paraphrasing

>

Teacherbee_4

Paraphrasing
Old 12-09-2017, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a group of students who are struggling to put things in their own words. I'd like to do some small group lessons on paraphrasing with them. Does anyone have any good lessons/activities/strategies/ideas that have worked for them?

Thanks!

Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-09-2017, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For the first couple of weeks, I ask students questions about a text and have them find the text evidence that answers it. They then copy that directly and include quotation marks and a page number/paragraph number. Then we move to answering questions using only part of the quotation embedded in a sentence they wrote, again with quotation marks. Then we move to summarizing the text evidence so that almost the whole thing is in their own words, and any part, even if it's just one word, that isn't their own words has to be in quotation marks.

This seems to help them understand the difference between their own words and the author's words.

Example for the Ducksters article about Magellan
My question might be "What did Magellan's crew do when the weather turned bad? Why?"

If we were still in the first phase of answering, students would write, "As Magellan's ships sailed south the weather turned bad and cold. On top of that, they had not brought enough food. Some of the sailors decided to mutiny and tried to steal three of the ships." It's a direct quotation from the text.

If we were in the second phase, they would write, When "the weather turned bad," Magellan's crew "decided to mutiny" and "steal three of the ships." They were upset that "they had not brought enough food."

If we were in the third phase, they would write, When "the weather turned bad," Magellan's crew turned against him and tried to take three of his ships back to Portugal. In addition to the bad weather, the crew were angry that they didn't have enough to eat.

Sometimes I insist they use all their own words, but sometimes I let them use a few words from the original text if it's already written at their writing level (like the Ducksters articles and some newsela articles usually are).
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

readnteach13

Old 12-10-2017, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Following, because I am struggling with this too this year. They either write something directly from the text or have some response that makes no sense whatsoever.
readnteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Paragraph Shrinking
Old 12-10-2017, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use Paragraph Shrinking as a comprehension activity with my intervention students. It helps practice main idea and summarizing. Kids work in partners to read sections of text and then "shrink" the paragraph/section into a brief summary or main idea. There is lots of info online about the strategy and how to use it if you google it.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Paraphrasing
Old 12-10-2017, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have to do this a lot with my resource high schoolers. They can give me literal lines from the text but struggle with summarizing and inference. One thing I use is the 20 word summary. They have to summarize what they read in only 15-20 words. This forces them to think about what is important in the passage. I would like to say that I have great success every time I use it, but that would not be the truth. This is the strategy that I get more bang for my buck with though. There are a lot of graphic organizers for this on the web if you are interested.

teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

TaffyFL

Paraphrasing
Old 12-13-2017, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I made this little powtoon to help my fourth and fifth grade teachers. I used a prompt and texts they were working on, so hopefully it makes sense.

Fifth Grade (text is Are bees dying out?)

Fourth Grade (text is Dive Technology)

I also attached the little poster I made from the powtoon. The teachers said their kids "got it" for the most part, so I hope it helps!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Paraphrasing Poster.pdf (202.5 KB, 11 views)
TaffyFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2017, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for all of the ideas and attachments! You are all awesome! I appreciate it!
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote