Help

BusyBoard

Class presentations--WWYD?

>

LuvsPixieDust

Class presentations--WWYD?
Old 12-14-2017, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So my class did a Wonder Day today in which they did a research on something they wonder about. It was fun and kids were excited. I told them to prepare a very brief presentation. So.... here is my issue.. One student is researching if Santa is real. My students are 6th graders. I have another doing something Biblical in nature. I told them they could research most anything.

I try very hard to keep religion out of my room and not share my beliefs. I also try to be very careful about the Santa thing. I would not want someone to lose their innocence in my room. How should I go about presentations?

Part of me wants to just get all the students to present to me instead of the whole class. These 2 students enjoy presenting and having the floor.

It is my first time doing Genius Hour type things. It was fun, but I want to avoid pitfalls.

Thanks, y'all!

LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

App
Old 12-14-2017, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think the easiest thing would be to find an app or program that lets the kids record their presentation. Then they feel they have done a presentation and you can watch the recordings and give feedback and acknowledgment of their work, while avoiding pitfalls.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 12-14-2017, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If it were me, I would pull them aside (separately) and explain they can either choose a different topic or present privately to you. The Santa one especially (the other wouldn’t bother me as much) if he chose that topic, he probably doesn’t actually believe in Santa anyway and maybe even wants to thrill of “shattering” other kids’ beliefs (but you know him best—possibly that’s not true!) maybe he could present facts about St. Nicholas, which would be similar but more based on truth.

But just like if they chose any other “inappropriate” topic, I’d say the same thing. In the future, have them get their choices approved by you before they do research.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-14-2017, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You’re not sharing tour beliefs if the student presents something Biblical, so you’re fine there. You also teach sixth, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with sixth graders knowing Santa isn’t real. In fact, I’d be a little shocked if I had sixth graders who did still believe in Santa.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 12-14-2017, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

you could have students schedule their presentations (might mean they have to present 2 or 3 times) and then kids can sign up for the 5 or 6 they want to see/hear. that way kids can decide.

might look like this:

10-10:10
students 1-5 present

10:10-10:20
6-11 present

etc. then switch it up so students 1, 30, 6, 24, 15 present (so that the kids that presented at the same time can see each other)

tia is online now   Reply With Quote

bison06

Old 12-14-2017, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
You’re not sharing tour beliefs if the student presents something Biblical, so you’re fine there. You also teach sixth, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with sixth graders knowing Santa isn’t real. In fact, I’d be a little shocked if I had sixth graders who did still believe in Santa.
I completely agree with Gromit.
bison06 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2017, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do appreciate your opinions. I think the Santa girl still believes.

I have to say my students were so excited to get to research something of their choosing. It was refreshing to see students SO motivated to work this close to the holidays.
LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote