BusyBoard

Coat management?

>

Suzier

Suzier

Coat management?
Old 12-14-2017, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know this is an odd question, but do you allow students to keep their costs with them at their desks? I teach elementary and I find their coats are always on the floor getting stepped on, tripped over,etc... My classroom has nice, sturdy hooks outside the room so Ive been having students keep their coats there to decrease clutter. Now parents are MAD that Im asking students to keep their coats outside! (Were an outdoor campus.) they find it unreasonable that Im not letting students keep coats at their seats.

I love in the south where we rarely see truly cold weather, but of course if a student is genuinely really cold inside Id let him/her keep the coat on.

Im just curious what others do about coats in the classroom?

bookbadger

No coats
Old 12-15-2017, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We live in a cold climate and we are not allowed to keep coats on in the classroom.

They have hooks in coat cubbies in the room and leave them there.
bookbadger is online now   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 12-15-2017, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

An actual big coat? Yes I have lockers, so my kids have to keep them in there. My rule is they either wear it or put it up. Most of my kids dont have big coats though. Here in Texas a hoodie is all most of them wear.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

We are in a cold climate.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My classroom has hooks where students can hang their coats. Some of them choose to wear their coats all day, and I'm fine with that. It's almost like a security blanket for them, or armor - they feel more safe with their coats on (and no one can steal it,either).
My rule is on your body or on a hook. I don't let them keep in at their seats because like you said, they end up all over the floor.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-15-2017, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also have a rule that they either wear it or leave it on the hook outside. Like a pp mentioned, I've had several students over the years that wear their coats all day long every day, and for some of them I do think it's a protection/security thing. I do also think it's somewhat fair for parents to complain if their child is legitimately cold and not allowed to put something on (as someone who is always freezing, I sympathize). I think it's fair to say they can't leave them laying around the room, but not fair to say they can't have them on.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Coats
Old 12-15-2017, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my classroom the air is always in a "feast or famine" state so I allow coats in the room if rules are followed. Coats must stay off the floor at all times. If I find one on the floor, I put it outside the classroom door. I wont trip or fall because of an errant coat. I know someone who is now permanently disabled after slipping on a backpack in the classroom.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

gofish

Coats zipped or buttoned
Old 12-15-2017, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I tell my students to wear it or put it away. I have hooks in the hallway but do not allow them to go down the hallway for this reason only so if they take off their coat, jacket, hoodie, or sweater then they must zip it and hang over their chair like the chair is wearing it. This keeps it off the table and off the floor. It also allows them to put it back on if needed.
gofish is online now   Reply With Quote

PollyCarp

Not a hill I die on
Old 12-15-2017, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with the previous posterI literally see kids wearing coats as a form of protection. I don't want to take that way from them.

I haven't been very good about keeping them off the floorI'm a bit cluttered anyway so it doesn't matter to me. I didn't think about the slipping hazard, though, so I may have to rethink that one. I like the idea of making the chair wear the coat.
PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 12-15-2017, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have cold weather. There is a "coatroom" in our classroom with a shelf for lunch boxes and hooks for backpacks. Students put their coats inside of their backpacks before hanging up their backpacks. (to help prevent spread of lice)
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote