Help

BusyBoard

Very long chapters

>

mom23kids

Very long chapters
Old 12-23-2017, 01:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is 4th grade. We're reading a chapter book with chapter that have 32 or so pages. I can't read this with them in class because we'll never finish. I need to give it for homework. How do I know they've read and what would you do as a lesson t he next day? TIA

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 12-23-2017, 04:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would read a page or two together, then give 20 minutes for them to read silently. Whatever isn't finished is homework.

I used to do a 3-5 question quiz at the beginning of each class period where reading was assigned the night before. It was basic who/what/when/where/why questions that weren't really hard, but could be answered easily if they had read, even by my low students. If someone didn't read, it was obvious. (I only gave 4 minutes for the quiz--very simple) It helps keep them accountable because they know it's coming. And maybe somedays, we don't have a quiz, but they didn't know that ahead of time.

After the quiz, we would discuss the previous chapter briefly, if necessary, and do whatever assignment/lesson/skill. Character or plot development, maybe some vocabulary, author's purpose, etc. Then assign the next chapter and give time to read again.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Reread book
Old 12-23-2017, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Decide on a response writing assignment for each chapter. Start each chapter in class and then have them complete their reading. When they walk in the next morning their reading response question is up for them to respond to.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

chapter book response
Old 12-23-2017, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like the others ideas.
Here's another:
Read a few pages in class, discuss, preview some upcoming words or important details, then pose a guiding question for the rest of the chapter.
Will they have some class time?

As they're reading provide sticky notes they can jot on. The next day have them use stickies to discuss what happened (small group, partner, whole group) get them talking about the book!

If you need a written response, they can hand in their stickies attached to a paper, write a summary of the chapter (again using their notes) or a graphic organizer to target the main idea.

I'd change it up so they have a variety of responses for such a long book.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

jorgefuriouso

Lots of Great Suggestions!
Old 12-24-2017, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I taught grade three for 9 years, grade four for 11 years, and grade 6 ELA for the past 8 years, and this is a common problem.

I think you’ll find this article http://howtoteachanovel.blogspot.com...lex-texts.html will be a big help, as it explains one way to help with this problem.

jorgefuriouso is offline   Reply With Quote