Help

Second Grade

Frontloading Historical Information

>

PollyCarp

Frontloading Historical Information
Old 12-25-2017, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This question is for *anyone*, but if you have taught second grade ELA with ReadyGEN you might be just the person to help me out here.

After break we're launching into a biography, which we have to read in the span of about a week. It's written for fifth graders, I think, and references historic events from the Civil War to the Panama Canal and the Spanish-American War. This will be the third year I teach it to a crop of second graders with no sense of American history (why should they have it just yet? they're second graders). Both of the past years, it's been an absolute disaster—for me and my GL team.

This time around I think I'm going to frontload information about the important concepts (i.e. the ones that come up in the study questions or the writing task) and tell the kids that if they don't understand the other stuff, it's OK.

I'm not exactly sure how to do this. I have a map we can draw on with vis-a-vis, we're making a class timeline, and I'm going to hunt up pictures and show them while explaining the concepts verbally. I can make it work, but I'm wondering if any of you have better/other ideas for frontloading information.

Or, if you have taught ReadyGEN before and have a really successful way of getting through that Teddy Roosevelt biography, my teammates and I are ALL EARS!

PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 12-26-2017, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not using ReadyGEN, but I think I would start with a short video clip for kids about Roosevelt that are available through YouTube or Teacher Tube and read an on-level Teddy Roosevelt biography aloud to the class in order to create a bit more context.

I can understand how difficult this might be for 2nd graders. You have to teach the concept of a biography, timeline, geography, war, politics, and a writing task. YIKES!
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

PollyCarp

Old 12-26-2017, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the tip! I'll look for some videos.

YIKES is pretty much the word I use for the whole lovely week I spend with that book.

PollyCarp

Old 12-28-2017, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I appreciate that, and I'll bring it up next year if I'm teaching second again. Our team has already made substantial changes to what is prescribed by ReadyGEN and we frankly don't have any more planning time this time around. Thank you.

Marcimcg

Front loading info
Old 12-29-2017, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would replace that topic with something more developmentally appropriate. There are many historical figures you could use for a biography unit.

Your ReadyGen is resource not your curriculum. Go to your curriculum standards to justify making a switch.

Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote