Help

Teachers' Lounge

Would this bother you?

>

Whatsmynam_

Whatsmynam_

Would this bother you?
Old 01-02-2018, 06:25 AM

My ds (7) and his bf go to a club after school. Right before break they were pushing each other according to the women who teaches the class. She volunteers a ton, is Pta president etc. I go to pick up my son and heís in tears which is not like him. Bfís mom asks whatís wrong and I tell her I guess they were pushing each other. We leave my son goes home and takes a 2 hour nap (not like him) wakes up and he has a fever. I text his bfs mom and apologize for ds and let her know he is sick and I think thatís why he was acting odd. She texts back and tells me that the Pta president texted her to tell her that her son did nothing wrong and it was all my son. Okay fine. Then I receive a note from dsís teacher stating she heard what my son had done (but she wrote he did things that I was not told). This is really bugging me. I hadnít thought about it much until now since weíre going back. There are other issues I have with Pta president so I donít know if thatís also clouding my judgment. Just looking for others perspectives...

TAOEP

Old 01-02-2018, 09:40 AM

They are 7. Kids do things like that--not saying they should, just saying they do. What I don't understand is why anyone other than the person running the club was involved. It doesn't sound as if anyone was hurt, so the person in charge should have addressed the issue by stopping the pushing. Then either give a time out (or similar) or just get the boys involved in doing whatever the group was doing at the time.

A quick mention to the parents at pick-up would make sense, simply so they would be aware. "Just so you know, the boys were pushing this afternoon and I had to step in."

Unless the behavior persisted, that's it. No reason at all to involve the teacher. No need to be texting lots of details (usually better not to put this sort of stuff into writing). No reason to have a child in tears.

I'm thinking that the best thing to do is absolutely nothing. That's assuming that you son and his BF are fine with each other. (Are they?)
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Let it go
Old 01-02-2018, 09:51 AM

This all happened before break? That was 2017, ancient history now -- especially with 7 year olds.
It was right before break, right before Christmas, everyone's stressed and just trying to make it through. Annoying? Yes. Something to dredge up? No.

Start the New Year fresh.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 01-02-2018, 12:51 PM

I think that what would bother me is that it seems like there was some gossiping about the situation. Is it that you think the PTA president is the one who told the teacher?
As for the pushing, I agree that that kind of thing happens with kids. It wasnít right to get anyone other than the club leader involved, and her correction shouldnít have left a child in tears, but as itís in the past, Iíd let it go.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
whatsmynam_

whatsmynam_

Old 01-02-2018, 01:36 PM

Yes I know the PTA president told his teacher since she wrote it in the note home to me. I feel like she's super gossipy and it frustrates me as a parent and a teacher. It's not just about students it's about teachers, and staff as well. I was going to let it go, but just wanted to know if I was overthinking my annoyance at the situation or if I had a right to be annoyed.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 01-02-2018, 02:06 PM

I agree that it is typical 7 y/o behavior and they should have dealt with it there, then let it go. It sounds like the PTA president is indeed a gossip and was just trying to annoy you. Yes, you certainly do have a right to be bothered by this!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 01-02-2018, 03:47 PM

It would bother me, yes. I would probably let it go, except for 2 things:

1) Don't trust the PTO person, period. She's proven herself to be a gossip and not one to trust. I wouldn't associate with her in any way, shape, or form unless I absolutely had to. I have no patience for people like that.

2) I actually would go to the teacher and say something! Why was she even made a part of it? Then, for her to write you a note about it, when she wasn't even involved? For what purpose?

Anyway, lame situation for sure!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote