Help

BusyBoard

Leader in Me

>

Joker 45

Leader in Me
Old 12-19-2017, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If your school does The Leader in Me Program, I would love to hear the pros & cons.
TIA

Joker 45 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Leader in Me
Old 12-20-2017, 02:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I posted about this earlier and did not get many responses. I'll watch your post to see what people say.
We just became a LIM school. Iíve been utilizing the LIM traits in class for several years, but the school is finally going through with the whole program.

Pros: good leader traits to help build community, caring and compassion; helps students make goals and develop ways to achieve these goals; can make a strong school community if implemented correctly with all stakeholders (parents, students, staff)

Cons: the full program makes me feel a bit uneasy; I donít have time in my day or week to work the program as prescribed (30-60 minutes); program wonít work unless there is a strong leadership group and there is consistency with the program; junior high students may not see value in the program because of their current attitudes towards life, school, and community.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 12-21-2017, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We just started the full program this year.

Pro: I like the lessons from the workbook...it's a great way to introduce the habits in a way that's appropriate for fifth graders. But the biggest piece is discussion...and that takes time that I sometimes don't have.

Con: We decided that we would teach one lesson a week, and sometimes I just can't get through it. A few weeks ago I went through three lessons in one day (~15 min each) because we were so far behind and I just needed to get caught up.

Pro: I like that kids are hearing the language and using it in class. They're setting goals.

Con: Sometimes it's force fed and I don't feel like the habits are applicable in all situations right now. For example, sometimes there isn't a win-win in every situation. Sometimes kids do have to learn to compromise. (To me in a compromise both parties are giving something up to find a solution...meaning that it isn't necessarily a win for either party)

Pro: Classroom jobs are helpful.

Con: Having every kid have a specific job that only they can do makes my room feel less like a team working together.

Not sure if it's our school, but we're having major issues over the idea of kids answering a knock to the door. I get that kids are supposed to be learning to make eye contact and shake hands. But I'm not sure if it's appropriate for 5-10 year olds to be answering doors in general. It's also very disrupting to class if that child has to get up multiple times a day.

I will say, I have enjoyed the trainers who have come for PD. I am just not as happy with my own admin team as the implementation is going through.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

QW

Hate it
Old 01-01-2018, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our school jumped in and we all had the training a few years ago. The training was somewhat helpful to adults. However, if you really really look at it, LIM is a pyramid scheme. You buy in and then put on a show for other schools, who then buy in, and so on. It took a LOT of instructional time away from classes and the kids could spout the language but didn't always know what it really meant. Over all, it was an expensive mistake.
QW is offline   Reply With Quote

Joker 45

Thank you
Old 01-03-2018, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much for details in your pros & cons.
Happy New Year.

Joker 45 is offline   Reply With Quote