Help

BusyBoard

Need Ideas for S.S.

>

Lillybabe

Need Ideas for S.S.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Long story short... we don't have social studies curriculum for kindergarten. We also do not use a basal and therefore there are no science or social studies resources to pull from there. I have a 25 minute science/social studies block in my day currently and have completely run out of social studies curriculum. I had three units (citizenship, then & now, and alike & different) but I've finished them. The first focused on classroom and community rules, the second focused on how life was different a long time ago (mostly colonial days), and the last focused on cultures and traditions. Coming back from break I was going to spend some time reviewing procedures, why we have rules, etc. and that will probably push math into my science/social studies block. Then I was going to spend a few days on Martin Luther King Jr. I alternate science and social studies units.

So, my idea for social studies in January (maybe early February) was to focus on winter weather around the world. Can anyone recommend any good ideas? I thought it would be good to brush on the fact weather isn't the same around the world and that it is hot in January for some people. Also, it's colder in some areas than it is in Illinois. Anyone have any good ideas for books, activities, etc. that would deal with this? I'm not finding much everything wants to have me do holidays around the world and we've already talked about some different holidays.

February I figured I would use the time to discuss African American history and spend some time on being a kind friend (valentine's day theme essentially).

March and May I've yet to come up with ideas for. April I was going to spend my social studies time talking about taking care of the Earth.

If you have additional ideas or resources you could share that would be great. I didn't post this in the kindergarten form because I thought people other than kindergarten teachers might have ideas from their own children, what they see colleagues doing, what they did as a kid, etc. I like having so much freedom to teach how I like but at the same time it's kind of overwhelming.

Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

What about Families?
Old 01-03-2018, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Families are different and this might make a good social lesson to cover. Many have a mom and dad plus kids. But some families only have a dad or a mom, not both. Some families include a grandparent or two, maybe some cousins. Some families have no children. Others have just one child or maybe many. You could ask everyone to bring in a photo of their family. Picture books to share on this topic should be pretty easy to find and read aloud plus discuss.

When I went through my divorce my boys who were 5 and 7 at the time thought we were not a family any more. That took some reteaching to reassure them. That is what made me think of this topic.

I know the picture book titled "A Chair For My Mother" has a child, mother and grandmother living in the home. That might be a good one to start with. They lose most of their belongings in a fire and their neighbors help them by giving them items they themselves no longer use. So I also love this picture book for its example of community and helping one another. Sounds like this would be a review topic for your students.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Community Helpers
Old 01-03-2018, 02:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You may have covered this topic but there are many great picture books on this topic. It might be good to review with a read aloud and discussion. Also you might be able to get some speakers like a firefighter or policeman to come visit the classroom.

http://www.centermoricheslibrary.org...ityhelpers.pdf

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/community-helpers

1956BD

Maps!
Old 01-03-2018, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Maybe you could teach a unit on maps for a week. Again there are many picture books on the topic. You could create a compass rose with the cardinal directions for them to trace and color. Just learning that the N stands for north and S stand for south.... would be a big accomplishment.

Maybe you could create a felt board where together you could all create a "map" of your classroom. Then you could create a treasure hunt or scavenger hunt of sorts using pictures for them to find a class prize of some sort.

Perhaps you could use a GPS for some activity.

https://www.geolounge.com/five-books...oung-children/

Continents and oceans song with video.

http://www.hippohoorayforsecondgrade...and-video.html

Land Sea and Air Geography

https://www.giftofcuriosity.com/intr...ool-geography/

Last edited by 1956BD; 01-03-2018 at 03:58 PM..

1956BD

Does you school get Brain Pop Junior?
Old 01-03-2018, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know there is at least one maybe two animated videos about Martin Luther King the kids would enjoy.

There are other films which would help you during your study of black history or maps.

Last edited by 1956BD; 01-03-2018 at 02:42 PM..

1956BD

Actual Community Service
Old 01-03-2018, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What if your class does a trash pick up in the school yard one day as community service?

You could do the same in the building one day and also help the janitors by removing black scuff marks on the floor. Usually just rubbing the mark with soft soled shoes will remove the black marks.

Maybe collect canned foods for the local food pantry.

Is there an old folks home near by? Make cards (Valentine's , Spring, Amor Day...) and walk over to deliver. Just seeing the small children will put a smile on their faces.

1956BD

Around The World Books
Old 01-03-2018, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

https://delightfulchildrensbooks.com...und-the-world/

You may have to preview theses books and stories to see what you can adapt to your lessons about weather in different parts of the world.

Also, could you use Google maps? Show somewhere in the northern hemisphere where it is snowing and then somewhere in the southern hemisphere where it is warm enough to be swimming in the ocean. You could preplan and research the current temperatures of each place.

Maybe you could hang a large thermometer outside a window to check the daily temperature each day.

1956BD

Tpt
Old 01-03-2018, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...ice-Range/Free

I did a search for kinder social studies freebies on Black history and found a great many resources. Try your own searches you will mind many goodies to use and even more ideas to develop.

read2day

Old 01-03-2018, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

A picture book that may help with your weather unit is On the Same Day in March:A Tour of the World's Weather by Marilyn Singer.
read2day is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Earth Day Freebie with
Old 01-03-2018, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

a nature walk pictured check sheet. Nature walk could be fun.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...y-FREE-1791341

1956BD

Storyline Online is a great resource
Old 01-03-2018, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

http://www.storylineonline.net

These are children's picture books read aloud by actors and other famous people. Reread and see what you can use in class. It is a nice way to rest your voice for a few minutes. Not sure there will be SS connections but maybe.

1956BD

I know you asked for help with social studies
Old 01-03-2018, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

But here is a list of science related picture books. These can be a real bless to introduce, conclude or review a science topic in class.

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show...garten-science

This is a great science resource. I love the experiments as they all have that wow factor that make science fun for kids.

https://sciencebob.com

Last edited by 1956BD; 01-03-2018 at 03:35 PM..

cruxian

Old 01-03-2018, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Here's our kindergarten SS curriculum, FWIW: they are supposed to describe that history describes the events and people of other times and places by identifying examples of past events in legends and stories related to President Lincoln; Pocahontus, George Washington, Betsy Ross and Powhatan; they must identify the reasons for celebrating holidays such as Thanksgiving, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day; President's Day and the Fourth of July and (in general) that things change over time.
They do a map unit.
They do an economics unit: simple descriptions of work that people do with the names of their jobs; economic choices; needs versus wants.
They do a citizenship unit.
In science, they do a unit on magnets; physical matter (position, motion and physical properties of matter); water (it flows and has physical properties); living versus nonliving organisms; plants (needs and life processes); shadows; weather observations; shapes and forms of common natural objects; animal and plant growth; change over time (and rate of change); recycling.
That's got to be tough not even having a curriculum to follow!
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Use Pinterest
Old 01-03-2018, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

They have tons of great ideas! Sometimes there are freebies too!

ConnieWI

A Chair for My Mother
Old 01-03-2018, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

1956BD recommended that you use a book called A Chair for My Mother. This book is #1 in a trilogy.

The second book is called Something Special for Me and the third book is called Music, Music for Everyone.

Ideas for Social Studies/Health:

--Native Americans of the United States
--Choose a state like Alaska and study the Iditarod, Alaskan animals, etc..
--"Stranger Danger"
--Good manners when receiving a gift, when eating, please and thank you, etc.
--How to set a table correctly.
--Chinese New Year (in January, I believe)
--Presidents in February - Washington and Lincoln
--Martin Luther King - in January
--Ireland and St. Patrick's Day in March
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Why we say the pledge of allegiance
Old 01-03-2018, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

https://www.amazon.com/Pledge-Allegi...+of+allegiance

Tak a look at this book and see if you think it works for Kindergarteners. I think just learning to stand up straight, put your right hand over your heart and look at the flag while saying the pledge is a great lesson.

here is another possible read aloud.

https://www.amazon.com/I-Pledge-Alle...+of+allegiance

There is probably a lesson on Brain Pop Junior as well.

They could color a picture of the American flag and you could explain why it has 13 stripes and 50 stars. There are many flag crafts on Pinterest.

1956BD

geography
Old 01-03-2018, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Make some outlines of your state on big pieces of construction paper. Then laminate. Use a s a center. Have students trace the outline using tracing paper and a pencil. Tape down their tracing paper. Also trace the shape using yarn. Last time allow them to trace the shape of their state using cooked spaghetti. You might even have a small dried bean to place on their map where your hometown is located.

You could also do this with the 48 continental united states. Have your home stated colored in for them to see in relationship to other states.

lisa53

Iditarod edu
Old 01-03-2018, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

The big sled dog race in Alaska has a Teacher on the Trail, and lots of educational materials available on their education website. The preparation that the mushers do would relate to your winter weather unit...and the race starts in March. It is possible to follow the Iditarod race day by day online. Maybe that would be fun in March...
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 01-03-2018, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have read other responses, so sorry if I repeat. Some other topics to consider would be American symbols/landmarks/memorials, basic economics concepts, and basic map skills and geography.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 01-04-2018, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

You got some wonderful suggestions from PPs.

In February, we do a fun post office project. We learn about mailman/post office (community helper/places in our community) and tie it in with Valentine's Day. Here is a link to a Google Slide Presentation that I use to introduce the Post Office project https://goo.gl/vUgbcF When you click on the link, it will make a copy of the GS for you.

I assign students and fake street addresses like 10 Blue Road, 7 Orange Avenue, 23 Purple Lane... to use for their valentine cards. (The cards have to be inside envelopes. I buy a box or two at the dollar store to have on hand in case students need them.) Students create their own mailboxes (an at home family project) to use.

On the day of the exchange, we set up a post office in our classroom. We arrange the mailboxes on the streets. We set up stations for the different jobs in the post office. Students rotate through the different jobs.

The different rotations are:
1. Customers-count out pennies to buy stamps, put stamps on envelopes, put stamped envelopes in the mailbox.
2. Postal Clerks-sell stamps (count out the money, count out the stamps to give to customers)
3. Mail Handlers-collect the mail from mailbox, stamp the date, cancel the stamp
4. Mail Sorters-sort the mail according to street (put the envelopes on colored pieces of paper according to the street address)
5. Mailmen-gather mail and put in the mail bag (brown paper bags with yarn straps and colored strip to represent the street /deliver the mail to individual mailboxes on their assigned route (street)

Off the top of my head, here are some general topics we cover for each month.
Sept: My Family; Getting to Know My School and Friends-Create Rules, Identify School Workers, Identify Places in School; Learn about America-Study the Pledge of Allegiance, Learn patriotic songs, Identify symbol-American Flag; American Folklore-Johnny Appleseed
Oct: Learn about Our Community-Identify places in our community and workers in the community, Community Helper-Firefighter, Fire Safety; American Holiday-Columbus Day
November: Bully Awareness and Prevention; American Holiday-Thanksgiving, Learn about Pilgrims and Native Americans; Long Ago and Now
December: Holidays Around the World; Needs and Wants
Jan: American Holiday-Martin Luther King Jr Day;Kindness Challenge
February:Mailman/Post Office, Valentine's Day, Chinese New Year(This year it starts on Feb 16th and ends on March 2nd), American Presidents-Lincoln and Washington
March: Different Kinds of Landforms, Map Skills; Holiday-St. Patrick's Day
April: Interacting with Our World-Identify resources and how we use them; Earth Day

You might want to look at the first and second grade social studies curriculum to see what is covered at those grade levels to help you have vertical alignment with the social studies curriculum K-2.

You might want to check your state standards for social studies to see what is expected to be covered.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Wow! Thanks!
Old 01-06-2018, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I'm still combing through them all. I will let you all know what I come up with and if I need more ideas on specific things. I hadn't thought to use google maps to show weather... that might be fun!
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote