Help

Kindergarten

Book shopping

>

Cat woman

Book shopping
Old 01-06-2018, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am working with a kindergarten teacher (my background is second grade). Her students recently began shopping for their own books for their book bins. She has them all have some class books, poems and songs in their bins also. I am wondering how often you typically have them swap out their classroom library books? She was going to wait until the end of the month, but I thought that was a rather long time to have the same books. In second we did it weekly. Since I have such limited experience in kindergarten I don’t know what is appropriate so I suggested they keep them for just two weeks... what are your thoughts— how often do your kids book shop from the classroom library? She is receptive to suggestions and has a well stocked library.

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 01-06-2018, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Weekly, but I could see every two weeks working depending on how many books they have and how long they are expected to read independently.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

StellaBulldog

Old 01-06-2018, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do it weekly. Though there are some books that stay longer that are more their level or that the whole class has that we are working on.
StellaBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 01-06-2018, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am big on giving lots of choice so I leave it up to my students. They can book shop whenever they are in Read to Self or at BEAR (be excited about reading) time. I put a limit on certain books, like Elephant and Piggie, they can only have two in their book bags because those are heavy and our bags hang on a very convenient handle on the back of each child's chair....but if bags get too heavy, the chair tips over. And I only let them book shop from my collection at the front of the room, it's not leveled but has many choices from word-less books to chapter books. I reserve my classroom library for students who are fluent readers....this year I have three but have not yet offered that to them, I will soon.
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 01-06-2018, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a decently large selection of books in my classroom library. Everyone has a book box with 2 easy readers and 2 books from the classroom library. The easy readers I select and these were ABC books at the beginning of the year. I try hard to have them be books that have at least a few words they can read. The 2 they self select can be any books at all unless they can't physically fit in their book box. I have a few larger books that just won't fit. However, reading on the carpet is often a early finisher choice and then they may read anything in the room pretty much. Their book boxes also have books we've made in them. On Monday I am going to start teaching some of my higher ones how to select just right books. Once they are ready for those they will be allowed 2-4 books from the classroom library with 2 being just right fits. I try to let them select new books every week to every other week but it sometimes gets forgotten. My students are fairly good at self selecting books without dawdling too much or interrupting other students but I have a small class. I do not let them select new books whenever they want because I have a few who would then spend all of their time shopping.

Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote