Help

First Grade

New Spanish Speaking Student

>

advicelady

New Spanish Speaking Student
Old 01-12-2018, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first grade teacher, but at my school we do whole school RTI/center time for an hour each morning. This means that i have first through third graders that are on the same level based on their MAP score come into my room for center time. This week I got a new student that has moved up here from Mexico and speaks no english. He seems to be knowledgeable of spelling and reading in spanish. I am at a loss as to what to do with him because I don't want him to feel left out or to not grow academically from where he is. Also, I think the only reason he is in my RTI group is becasue the only other spanish-speaking student in his homeroom comes to my class for RTI.
I need help as to what I can do with him to not only help his understanding of english, but also to keep him engaged in learning. Help please!

advicelady is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 01-12-2018, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What grade is he in? He had formal education in Mexico and seems to be age-correspondingly literate in L1?

If he is in 2nd or 3rd grade and literate in Spanish I would put him on Duolingo, preferably on an iPad or tablet if you have one. If not, Duolingo has a computer website that I've never used, but I think it operates the same way.

Set up his account as learning English from Spanish.
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

New Spanish speaking student
Old 01-13-2018, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can empathize with you!

My student came in October. She finished kindergarten last June. No English. Only non-English student in whole school. Our school has no program yet. Admin trying to go through state to get things set up.

She is truly being immersed in English. Can you picture teaching math envisions program in English to her? I am focused on teaching her basic addition and subtraction with manipulatives. She needs 1-1 help with everything except coloring.

Her mom speaks English and helps her with spelling and reading at home. Now reading level D and E guided reading books. Hard to tell what she understands. I use google translate often, but this little girl does not read Spanish yet either. I have some eng/span books with pictures that help.
I know eventually our school will have a better program for her, but for now, we just struggle.
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

advicelady

Sorry
Old 01-13-2018, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sorry. He is a second grader.
advicelady is offline   Reply With Quote