BusyBoard

To tell or not to tell principal

>

Sjames

Sjames

To tell or not to tell principal
Old 01-29-2018, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I work at a private catholic school and I feel it is time to move onto public school. I am not Catholic, and public schools pay $12,000 more a year. I do like my school, so if I dont find anything, I would like to stay here.

My principal gave us all letters of intent, where we state whether we are coming back next year, are not, or are unsure and want a meeting with the principal. My principals a nice guy and if I told him I am thinking about leaving, he would understand. I am just not sure if I should tell him now or not. I am only applying to a few schools, and if I dont get anything I like, I would like to stay at my current school.

What should I do? Letters are due Friday.

1956BD

Good Luck Finding a Higher Paying Position
Old 01-29-2018, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am sure there will be calls to your principal for recommendations so I would be truthful.

Tell him you won't take just any job because you like your job where you are. But if you are offered a good teaching position where you think you will be happy you are going to make the change for better pay. If not, you would like to stay where you are. I am sure your principal will understand.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to do.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Notsurewhatto

Same here
Old 01-29-2018, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm in a similiar situation. I'm teaching at a private Christian school and I'm looking for a position closer to home and more pay. I told my principal what I am thinking of for two reasons. One, it was truthful and when people call for recommendations she won't be surprised. Two, private schools need time to fill in these positions so giving them a heads up helps the school. That being said I never felt like the letters of intent were binding. I had a friend who badly needed work (single mom). She was looking for work when the letters came out. She decided to sign the letter of intent to hold the job and then told her boss when she got another position. If your principal is good to work with it may be best to tell him.
Notsurewhatto is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Old 01-29-2018, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1956BD ALWAYS gives great advice.

In this instance, however, I have a different perspective after having taught 30 years in a Catholic school- four years before my daughter was born in one school and then 26 years years when she began grade school in another.

Right now it is a letter of intent. Generally the contracts themselves are signed in April. If you truly believe in your principal and that he indeed is a nice guy, I would let him know at least before I signed the contract. You are lucky if you have a principal like this. I myself am a very honest person.

If you doubt your principal at all, I would say nothing until I was sure that I had a new position. Over the years I have known teachers to cancel their contract early in the summer without any problem at all with the school or diocese.
kidsrterrific is online now   Reply With Quote