Help

Fifth Grade

EngageNY ELA

>

Sophianna

EngageNY ELA
Old 12-30-2017, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school district uses EngageNY for ELA (I teach fourth and fifth grade ELA) and it is astoundingly over the heads of most of my students. I try to drop the level of what I'm teaching, but I am not managing to get through most of the curriculum according to the pacing guides. Teaching one lesson a day doesn't work and I'm struggling to know what to cut and what to keep. I could easily get away with not teaching Engage at all, my principal supports meeting the students where they are, but I don't really know how to do that and still turn in the performance assessments that the district requires. Does anyone have suggestions on how to proceed?

I have taught Kindergarten for the past 14 years, and this is my first year in fifth. I am the only fifth grade teacher.

Sophianna is offline   Reply With Quote

Maceola

I'm late to this post but...
Old 01-17-2018, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

find the skills in the module lessons and teach those with other child friendly resources. The lessons are too long and the subject matter has to be broken down so much that it will eat up a lot of your time. Trust me, I spent an embarrassing amount of time on the UDHR. You may have these already, but the following are a few resources that I use.

Ereading worksheets
K12 reader
K5 learning
Common Core sheets
Common Lit
Center for Urban Education Resources
Readworks.org
Newsela

You may also want to download some 3rd -5th grade DBQ's. These are great for non fiction constructed responses. Enjoy!
Maceola is offline   Reply With Quote

FLNUT

DBQs
Old 01-28-2018, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know it's Document Based Questions but that's really it. I've heard mention of these being used in our middle school for Science and Social Studies but what exactly are they? Are there any that you recommend?
FLNUT is offline   Reply With Quote

Maceola

Flnut
Old 01-30-2018, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I can ramble on about DBQ's to the point of being annoying, so I'm going to leave these links for you which lead to more resources.

http://www.sldirectory.com/libsf/resf/dbqs.html

http://peterpappas.com/2011/01/dbqs-...-students.html
Maceola is offline   Reply With Quote