For subs sake, please don't forget about us! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

For subs sake, please don't forget about us!

>

Sirsubalot

For subs sake, please don't forget about us!
Old 01-27-2018, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It seems as though about 15% of the jobs that I accept more than a week in advance get cancelled.
I realize this is unavoidable since meetings get cancelled and plans change, so having my job cancelled is just one of the consequences of subbing.

However, I have lost about $1000 over the last five to seven years due to jobs that were cancelled unofficially, but still in the system.

I sometimes arrive at a job that no longer exists, and then get sent home with only 40% pay since someone forgot to cancel it. I am fortunate that about 80% of the time another late job is available, or I would have lost much more over the years.

Other times the job does get cancelled, but very late.

Last Thursday, I had three office managers ask if I was available to work on Friday. I said "no" since I was already booked for Friday, and had been for a week. I then get a cancellation notice at 7 PM, although I suspect the teacher or administrators knew long before then that the job was no longer necessary. I then took a job paying $35 fewer dollars than the first one that I was requested for would have paid.

With the great responsibility contracted teachers have, I realize that subs well being is not in the forefront of the teachers' minds, so oversights will happen, but if you can, try to remember to cancel us out of the system ASAP when you realize you will not need a sub after all.

We earn about 30% on average of what you earn, so every little bit hurts.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

It is what it is...
Old 01-27-2018, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

and like it or not, it is the price of doing business and par for the course. I only subbed four years and only used 1 district with a real person calling. I hear your complaints and concerns but have no experience with sub systems.

I guess if you want or need a job with a regular paycheck, subbing is not the best choice for you. [deleted]

Last edited by whatever; 01-27-2018 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Edit: True but snarky... Sorry.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

To whatever
Old 01-27-2018, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hmm....so much for the golden rule.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

sub jobs get cancelled
Old 01-27-2018, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The best thing to do is sub for multiple school districts. I have only had one job get cancelled where I had arrived at the school and nobody had cancelled the job. It was due to jury duty being cancelled and the regular secretary being out. I find that many teachers and secretaries are not very computer literate and are only capable of doing a limited number of things on a computer. In this case, the teacher assumed the secretary would cancel the job for her instead of doing it herself.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 01-27-2018, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Whatever's response gives me flashbacks to that other forum.

That is before the edit.

Nietzshe has a point though; It could be that the teachers think the administrator cancels the job and vice versa, so neither cancels the job.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-27-2018, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The flip side of that is I put in a sub job 2 weeks ago. I’ve had 3 subs cancel. When I subbed I only cancelled twice in 2 years of subbing and both those times I was deathly ill. All 3 of these subs have cancelled well over a week in advance.

Don’t accept a job if you’re not going show up.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 01-27-2018, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Subs should not cancel at the last minute either, unless it is an emergency.

I sometimes will get offered a job that pays 25 to 70 dollars more than the one I have, but I still do not cancel because it is unethical, and too many cancellations could result in being dropped from the sub list or getting fewer offers.

At least these subs cancelled well in advance, but it is both odd and aggravating that three would cancel.

Gromit

Old 01-27-2018, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We contract with a sub finding agency, and they sent someone to staff meeting to tell us that we should always request a sub whenever there's a chance we might need one.

They would much rather have us cancel at the last minute than request at the last minute. We were told they always have jobs available for substitutes at the last minute, but if we request at the last minute they might not always have a sub for us.

So if we think we might be out next Friday, request and then cancel when we know for sure. If we have a sniffle Tuesday afternoon, request and then cancel in the morning if we feel better.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 01-27-2018, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
GreyhoundGirl 01-27-2018 07:54 PM

The flip side of that is I put in a sub job 2 weeks ago. Iíve had 3 subs cancel. When I subbed I only cancelled twice in 2 years of subbing and both those times I was deathly ill. All 3 of these subs have cancelled well over a week in advance.

Donít accept a job if youíre not going show up.
Why is that a problem for you? Unless you discussed specific lesson plans with that sub, it shouldn't matter. I have certain teachers who ask me to come in a teach a specific topic. I would not cancel their job unless it was an emergency. I cancelled a job last week because I needed to go with my wife to a doctor's appt. I'm sure it didn't matter to the teacher. I cancelled two days in advance and I'm sure that was enough time to get another sub.

Nietzsche

Old 01-27-2018, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
Sirsubalot 01-27-2018 08:05 PM

Subs should not cancel at the last minute either, unless it is an emergency.

I sometimes will get offered a job that pays 25 to 70 dollars more than the one I have, but I still do not cancel because it is unethical, and too many cancellations could result in being dropped from the sub list or getting fewer offers.

At least these subs cancelled well in advance, but it is both odd and aggravating that three would cancel.
Unethical? There are no ethics involved. I would cancel for a higher paying or better job but all of my districts are on Aesop so I'm usually not aware of another position. There have been a few times when a principal or secretary asked me if I was available and I did cancel an accepted job to help them out. In most of my districts, someone will pick up the job within a minute or two.

TAOEP

Subs cancelling IS a big deal
Old 01-27-2018, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Absolutely a sub has the right to cancel an accepted job for a good reason--such as being sick him/herself. Totally understandable.

However, I've had the situation of a sub accepting a job in my classroom, cancelling, and then not getting a sub at all. That made me angry. The cancellation was done far enough ahead that it wouldn't have been due to sickness.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Nicely put
Old 01-27-2018, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think the OP very nicely asked that we as full time teachers take a few minutes to cancel our subs in as timely a manner as possible. I don't think he's out of line or that it is too much to ask. I, personally, would feel badly if my lack of consideration was causing someone else to lose money.

Last edited by PrivateEyes; 01-28-2018 at 07:23 AM..
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

To PrivateEyes
Old 01-27-2018, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Amen! Thank you!
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 01-28-2018, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I agree that I would not want someone to lose money because of my oversight. But, I also think that is the negative side of a per diem job.

There have been many times where trainings have been cancelled at the last minute and as a teacher I didn't find out until it was too late to cancel the sub. There have also been times when admin. said they would cancel for me and it has never happened. There there are still those times when a training has been cancelled, the sub has been cancelled, and they failed to tell me I didn't need to spend the time writing sub plans. It's all part of the beast.

My district will find something for the sub to do if it was not cancelled in the system and the sub arrives for the job.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 01-28-2018, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My campus has a policy that we try very hard to take care of our subs. If you put in for a sub and something gets cancelled that morning, we still take the sub for the day.

We have a district list of subs and a campus list of preferred subs.
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

katelaine65

We cannot cancel
Old 01-28-2018, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Our system is set up so that once the sub takes the job a teacher cannot cancel. It has to go through the secretary.
katelaine65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

come full circle
Old 01-29-2018, 02:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
I only subbed four years and only used 1 district with a real person calling..I guess if you want or need a job with a regular paycheck, subbing is not the best choice
And who's to say that you're not going to evolve back into subbing? If you do end up subbing, you would want other regulars know these fundamental concerns. So Sirsubalot is right, cancel them ASAP so he could pick up assignments. It's so simple.
Mikhail is online now   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 01-29-2018, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

What Choppie70's said is correct.

I find no fault with teachers or administrators cancelling at the last minute if indeed it was not known until the last minute that a training or meeting was cancelled. This is "part of the beast" that happens sometimes and it comes with the territory.

My request is that if a meeting or training is cancelled well in advance, that we are also cancelled ASAP.
I suspect that sometimes we are just forgotten about.

Of course if all districts had a policy where the sub remains and is used in some capacity, I would have never started this thread.

There is a teacher in Special ed who has requested me for the last seven years, including a job this year that I accepted three months in advance.

She cancelled it the night before because she probably just remembered at the last minute I was still scheduled to take her place.

My goal is simply to plant a seed to make sure we are cancelled ASAP, because I know it is usually not in the forefront of teachers' minds.

linda2671

I see your point.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

As a classroom teacher in our district, we enter our information on Aesop, and that's all we do. If the job is canceled, the secretaries do it. I have been told by the secretaries that once a sub is scheduled, they are paid no matter what, since they can't take another job once they have a job scheduled. We have been told not to schedule a sub for jury duty until we know for sure that we are going, otherwise the sub is paid for not coming in. Many times, we have subs in the building with no assignment. Their job was canceled, so the office sends them around to help in classrooms.

On the flip side, I have had to call for a sub at the last minute when I have been sick. A sub will pick up the job, and then cancel 15 minutes before school starts. Then, I have been left with no sub, or have gotten a sub that has never taught first graders before, making for a horrible day for everyone.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 01-30-2018, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I just have to add that, yes, sensitivity is important. It's also important to remember that we are all in this together. The optimist in me believes most people aren't deliberately trying to cause pain and hardship to others. In some cases, it's quite the opposite.

One of my memorable sub days was a "morning of" call due to Mrs. Teacher waking up unexpectedly sick. I arrived at school early so I'd have time to prepare for the day and found her in the classroom writing a sub plan for the day and organizing material. She was sicker than a dog but came in early to do that, planning to be gone before anyone else arrived.

Life happens. Let's not forget the times someone has tried to make it good.
MaineSub is online now   Reply With Quote

Tulips

I try not to cancel
Old 01-30-2018, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I was a sub and remember that. The couple of times that I could''ve cancelled because circumstances changed, I just kept the sub and put her/him to work because it was last minute, already the morning of the assignment.

In our district, if the sub shows up in good faith expecting a job, then they still get paid, or may be sent to another site.

Do unto others...

Dee
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 01-31-2018, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I have a partial explanation as to why subs accept jobs in the morning and then cancel soon afterwards, at least in California.

The reason lies in the way some, if not most districts, implement the sick day policy that started in 2015 called AB 1522.

The teachers have every right to be upset about this, and so do we. It is a lose-lose proposition.

Districts will only offer sick pay if we cancel our EXISTING job. My ignorance of this cost me 250 dollars the first year because the district "forgot" to send about 80% of the subs the memo explaining it.

To get paid, we are to cancel our job and then call the school in the morning to qualify for a sick day.

If we have no job to cancel, we do not get paid. So we are forced to inconvenience the schools and the teachers by accepting a job and then cancel it.

If we do the right thing and accept no job when we are too sick to work, we get nothing, regardless of how sick we are.

We do not accumulate sick days. If we do not use it, we lose it. We are allowed three per year.

I sent a letter to the author of this bill up in Sacramento a couple years ago, explaining the flawed way it is implemented by the districts, but got no reply.