Help

BusyBoard

3 year old in full day kindergarten

>

Eagle 126

3 year old in full day kindergarten
Old 02-03-2018, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My niece has a precocious 3 year old. Her grandmother wants her to start in a full time kindergarten next week in a private school with a small class. My niece has not been to see the school. Grandma took my great-niece last week to meet people at school. My niece has been teaching my GN at home. What do you think?

Eagle 126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Too young!
Old 02-03-2018, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

She needs social interaction with her own age group. That sounds like a bad idea on so many levels!!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 02-03-2018, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think that 3 year olds, no matter how precocious, should not be in classes with 5 and 6 year olds.

I think that kindergarteners should not be starting school in the second semester, when everyone else in the class has had 5 or 6 months of instruction already.

I think educational decisions should be made by parents, not grandparents, unless the parents are not in the picture.

I think three year olds should learn by playing and exploring the world around them, not by sitting in a traditional classroom.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

3 year old
Old 02-03-2018, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Nope, nope, and nope. Precocious as she is, she's only been on the planet for 3 years. She needs more life experience, more play, more time to mature.

Push this out to high school. When everyone is 16 getting their license, she will only be 14 (or worse, 13). Recipe for disaster in my mind.

I would look for a more academic preschool or a transitional kindergarten class, sometimes called pre-k.

Seriously, in kinder she needs the whole package: academics and maturity. She will need to sit still and focus for 10 minutes (or more) at one stretch. She needs to play cooperatively. And she has to be able to separate from mom for the morning/day. Does she still nap? No naps in k.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-03-2018, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

As a K teacher, I have to echo the sentiments of PPs. I don't care if she knows all her letters and sounds or even if she is reading. She is three years old! Why deny her two years of appropriate development? She's not going to forget how to read!

I think it would be doing this child a grave disservice. I absolutely agree with Keltikmom. The developmental gap will become wider and wider and she will not have a peer group. This is a terrible idea.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Don't do it!
Old 02-03-2018, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I second all of the above (and this is from someone who started kindergarten at four!)

I did great academically, and graduated second in my class. But I was NOT ready socially, and I don't feel I really caught up until senior year.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-03-2018, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

And looking forward she’ll be 2 years behind her peers. That’s a bad idea as she gets older. Imagine being 13 years old as a sophomore in high school.

The whole thing is a bad idea. Let her go to preschool and enjoy being 3. The whole reason we have kids with attention issues, anxiety, etc is because we’re asking them to do things they’re not developmentally ready to do. Imagine asking a child 2 years younger to do all that. And, she’s precocious now, there’s no guarantee she’ll continue to stay this academically talented. Then you have a child 2 years younger being asked to do things way beyond her frustration level.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Too Young
Old 02-03-2018, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What is the rush? Allow her to be a child and enjoy learning through play. When she turns five she will absorb everything kindergarten has to offer which will build her confidence and love for learning so she wants to continue her education. JMO
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-03-2018, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm sure there is a good preschool that would be perfect for her.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-03-2018, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'll echo the others - a big no! As a K teacher I can see the disaster that presents. As a mom I can say that giving your child the gift of a developmentally appropriate childhood is one of the best things you can give them.

Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 02-03-2018, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Totally agree. There's lots of time. For now, find a really good preschool, not a "mini-elementary school", but one with lots of experiences. Plenty of art and music and running and field trips and learning how to listen and to empathic and to create and think.

And at home, plenty of enrichment. Books, craft supplies, bikes, puzzles, conversations. At this age it's not so much a matter of "teach" but enable the child to experience. She has a whole lifetime before her.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-03-2018, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I am surprised that even a private school would take a 3 year old. Is she currently in preschool? If parents aren't happy with that school for whatever reason, they should look around for a preschool that's a better fit.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 02-03-2018, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

What is their reasoning for wanting to put her in K. at such a young age? K. will not enhance her precociousness if that is what they are hoping for. If anything, it will stifle it. A child learns so much from the ages 1-5 just through playing, exploring, etc. The world is their playground! Why take that away from her and put her in an environment whereby her opportunities for unlimited free play, open ended engagement opportunities, etc. will be stifled?
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote