Help

BusyBoard

Testing in Elementary

>

Gr8Profession

Testing in Elementary
Old 02-02-2018, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Three months ago I moved and I have been subbing daily in my new district. They do some things incredibly well and Iíve enjoyed it. I hope to have my own classroom next year. My problem (and it may be a deal breaker) is that they give district assessments every Friday in grades K-5. These assessments take nearly the entire day to complete. I havenít been in a room where theyíve taken less than 3.5 hours and most have been longer. Every Friday. Does anyone else do this? It goes against every ďbest practiceĒ I know. What do you all think?

Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 02-02-2018, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Thatís awful! I cannot imagine wasting an entire day once per week by testing. I would not be happy to teach or have my kids in a school like that!

We test in grades 2-6 at the ends of units. In math we have 6-8 per year and in reading 4-6.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Four Day School Week
Old 02-02-2018, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If I were a parent, I would keep my child home on Fridays...

and let the district know that my child would be in school one Friday per month and would only take the test on that day. There would be no make-ups for the other Fridays the child was absent.

It sounds like the parents in that school need to approach the school board and teach them about best practice.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-02-2018, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oh wow - that sounds horrible! So much teaching time lost, and for what? I get mad when I'm told I have to give one assessment. I'd die in that environment!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 02-02-2018, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Whatís the whole story? Is this district test, or district made weekly test for skills taught? The district could require everyone to teach the same and have the same weekly test.

Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 02-03-2018, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That would be a deal breaker for me. That's 1/5 of the year that's essentially wasted. I feel that longer, formal, summative assessments should be kept at a bare minimum K-12. If people want to know how a child is progressing, then use quick, short, formative assessments like an Exit Ticket. Then you can actually sit down with struggling students and help them.

If a whole Friday is spent testing, is there any follow up for students who are struggling? Or is it just to test to test? Either way it's ridiculous. In the real world students will be expected to work with others and actually create things. I don't know of many jobs where they have to fill in bubbles.
Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Gr8Profession

Reasoning
Old 02-06-2018, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The testing is done to make sure teachers are teaching the weekly skills. The tests are based on IReady which is almost a religion here. There is only one huge elementary school (K-3) and one huge upper elementary school (4-5) in the county. All students are bussed in. The tests are district mandated, not state mandated. There is no teachersí union and the district is quite poor. The tests are paper/pencil and from what Iíve seen, the teachers are called in to the principalís office every week to go over their scores. There is small amount of remediation done based on scores but teachers are expected to do this pretty much on their own.

The teachers feel like they have to move on regardless of the test scores because the testing in Friday is set at the beginning of the year, regardless of how students are doing.

Itís just the most ridiculous thing Iíve ever seen. The teachers are totally stressed out about it and Iíve seen them prompting/hinting/berating students to try to get better results. Itís just SO sad.

Gr8Profession

Love your reply
Old 02-06-2018, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

ConnieWI......if only!