Help

BusyBoard

Parent Teacher Conferences

>

sassymollasy

Parent Teacher Conferences
Old 02-01-2018, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am curious how other districts conduct Parent Teacher Conferences?

We used to get two days off - 16 hours - and were expected to be on campus for 16 hours to conduct our conferences. Now we get 8 hours off and it seems like we are still doing 16 hours of conferences... grrr....

sassymollasy is offline   Reply With Quote

Alwaysummer

Alwaysummer

Old 02-01-2018, 10:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here we have a night every marking period that's about 2 hours, but can be longer if there's a lot of parents. Conferences can happen on prep. We get no other time for it.

choppie70

Old 02-02-2018, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We teach all day and then have conferences from 3:30pm - 7:30pm. Most of the time it is a Wednesday or a Thursday we we have to teach the next day as well.

We get a day off before our April break as comp time, we we have 16 hours of conferences and get 7 hours of comp time.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 02-02-2018, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We get out an hour early everyday for a week. We are also expected to stay late one night a week (we pick, usually based off parent need though). Parents send in their top 3 time/day preferences answered we are expected to accommodate within reason. I usually try to get them all done early in the week (I schedule a few before school too) so thatís on a Friday I can go home as soon as schhool letís out!

Ddís School is having conferences in two weeks. They are required to do a late night on Wednesday, which this year falls on Valentines Day. I think itís awful they have to be thre from 7am -8pm that night!!
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 02-02-2018, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We get a half day and a full day without kids. Given the length of our conferences, it is possible to fit in about half the class in this time frame. I usually start a week early and offer after school times so I don't have to go back to back on the full day.

Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-02-2018, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have two full days without students. I can usually do all my conferences on the first day, with one or two first thing on the second day and then prep/plan/clean the rest of the day.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

KatieViolet
Old 02-02-2018, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Not only is Feb. 14 Valentine's Day, but this year it is also Ash Wednesday. Apparently no one looked at the calendar before setting conference dates.

There may be teachers who request time off from the 7 AM to 8 PM schedule to attend a church service. I believe that the district is required to grant it.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

time4class

Old 02-02-2018, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have conferences from 3:30 until 8:30 and get 3 hrs off the next afternoon. Any conferences that don't fit in that time period we do after school or before school on other days. Some parents have phone interviews if they don't drive.
time4class is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 02-02-2018, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have early dismissals for 3 days (Wed-Fri) where the students are finished at 12 noon. We have one long day/night and one afternoon only.

Our conferences are scheduled for us by the office. We have a majority that require translation. The parents get to pick their top 3 times that are available. Teachers are responsible to schedule any parents who donít return the form or cancel. Iíll offer phone conferences at this point.

My schedule:
*Wed: 1:00-2:45
*Thurs: 1:00-2:45, a 1 hour break, then 4:00-7:00.
*Fri: Teachers get to leave as soon as our students are picked up (usually by 12:15). This is the comp time.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-02-2018, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

We have a week of minimum days. Kids are out at 12 and we conference from 12-3 (or later if we want). I usually do all of my conferences mon-thurs and then leave Friday to prep and plan.

My old district had minimum days mon, tues, thurs, and fri and all day off on wed to conference. It was fantastic!

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

AJ

Old 02-02-2018, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We have 2 nights of conferences that begin right after school. My conferences are from 4:00 - 7:45 both evenings. We get one comp day off (Good Friday in April). It makes for some very long days and the older I get, the harder these are on me. ALL of the hours of nonstop talking.
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-02-2018, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Of the three schools I've worked in, I like my current school's schedule the best. We have conferences after school from 4:00-8:00 on a Wednesday, and then no students on Thursday so we can do conferences 8:00-8:00. Friday is our comp day. Although it's 16 hours of conferences total, it's only 8 "extra" hours, since on normal days obviously we'd be at school during the day anyway. The only extra time is 4-8.

My previous school had conferences 4-8 on a Tuesday and Thursday of a regular teaching week, so you had to go back and teach the next day after all of that! We got comp days at weird times of the year that were nowhere near the actual conference days.

The worst was my first district. They also did conferences 4-8 on a Tuesday and Thursday of a regular teaching week, and then claimed that the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and the first Monday of spring break were the "comp days." AKA, days the entire rest of the state already has off.

It's so much better to get the comp day right after the longer days at work!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Interesting
Old 02-03-2018, 10:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

To see how others do it...In my district we've done it the same way always all 19 years-

2 weeks in the fall & 2 weeks in the Spring (Winter? Jan/Feb) the students get out an hour earlier T-F (they already get out an hour earlier on Mon., so that teacher's can have collaborative time, so for those 4 weeks during the year, we don't have collaborative time).

We are expected to do all of our conferences during those 4 weeks. It is up to us how we fit them in- it is generally expected we do ~20 minutes but there's no one standing over us. So for me that's ~9 hours total extra time. Great IF parents could all show up from 1:25-2:25pm T-Fri.

The first week, I generally stay until around 5-5:30 depending on how reliable the parents are/the relationship I feel I have with the parents (THANK GOODNESS I DID NOT DO THAT THIS TIME, I have had *7* NO SHOW'S in the 1st week this time!) then the 2nd week about 4:30. I also am willing to do 7:20am.

This round of conferences (2nd for the year) is not going well, I've had so many reschedule then so many flake!
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 02-04-2018, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We use to have a week of minimum days . Now it is two full days in the fall. The grade levels have resorted to one english group conference in the cafeteria and the next day a spanish speaking group conference. Parents pick up the report card and sit while we explain each area. For those students where one on one conferring is necessary due to behavior or failing grades,we schedule individual conferences after the group conferencing period. Parents can request an individualized conference as well and I will do that within the time period during the work day.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

conferences
Old 02-07-2018, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

No longer teacher, but when I was I thought our district did it pretty fair. In the fall we were supposed to conference with each parent (to the best of our ability, but at my school pretty much every parent came willingly). We had 2 work days that were technically called conference days at the end of 1st quarter. Some teachers simply used those two days for conferences. Most of us preferred to use them as work days for report cards. That meant that we had to get in conferences other times.

The school was open late 2 nights in the 2 weeks leading up (often a Tues one week and a Weds the next) until 8 pm. However, you weren't required to stay for either late night. Some people did both, most did one late night, and some did neither.

Some teachers did before school conferences, some did during planning period, some did after school. Our school didn't care as long as you got in all the parents in the last 2 weeks of the quarter or the first week of 2nd quarter.

After 2nd and 3rd quarter you only met if a parent requested it or if you did. Then it was whenever you agreed on.

I typically did one night until 7 and then a couple conferences after school each day in the 2 weeks leading up. I only did early morning or during planning period if a parent really needed it and I trusted them to show up.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote