Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

kindle paperwhite..looking for advice

>

ar719

kindle paperwhite..looking for advice
Old 02-07-2018, 05:32 AM

Does anyone have a kindle paperwhite reader? They currently are $20 off.... I have an old nook and a mini ipad which I use some for reading but both seem to have glare problems. I prefer reading a book, but like the ease of downloading books from the library. I am trying to decide if I want one more electric device to keep track of and it's cord, charging, etc. But...they seem like light weight handy little devices...

ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 02-07-2018, 05:44 AM

I love my paperwhite! It is lightweight and the battery charge lasts for several weeks. It is very easy just to slip in my purse and take everywhere with me. It is also easy to read both at night and in direct sunlight. Also, as I am older, I can enlarge in the print so I can even easily read even if I don't have my glasses on.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Kindle
Old 02-07-2018, 05:44 AM

Get the paper white. I bought it to read outside and there is zero glare. In fact, it almost looks like a real book page.

I order most of my books through Amazon, especially when they have a $2.99 sale, sometimes they're free.

You can order from your local library as well.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

ar719

library question
Old 02-07-2018, 05:55 AM

It looks like you cannot use 3M cloudlibrary to download books- which is what one of the libraries I use has.... What has been your experience with finding free books. Also, Keltikmom, I saw that you said Amazon has $2.99 sale....tell me about that -please.

thanks for all your info- I feel like I'm learning more !

EllaKate

Old 02-07-2018, 08:59 AM

Love my Paperwhite! I had the original Kindle keyboard. I upgraded about a year ago.

However, mine has a small crack in the light part of the Kindle so I'm going to have to replace it eventually. I have no idea how it cracked - I didn't even drop it. Boo!

EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Old 02-07-2018, 09:28 AM

Get the PaperWhite...and sign up for BookBub. Daily emails with books in the genres you like that are all $2.99 or less (including free).

I have no experience with 3M digital books, but you could always ask at your library.
h0kie is online now   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I use Bookbub as well
Old 02-07-2018, 10:11 AM

and a site called Free Kindle Books. kindle@freebookssearch.com

You do have to watch though as some of the books are free and some are just "deals" per se. They are much cheaper than other places but still cost. They are well marked as such so you don't have to worry about accidentally buying something.

I chose the option to send it to email. The email hits my inbox with a title, picture of the cover and a short synopsis. If I click on it, I can do the one click purchase and choose which device to send it to. Of course, my devices are synced so it goes to all.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

nhteachermom

Love my Paperwhite!
Old 02-07-2018, 10:30 AM

I had gone through two Nooks - which I loved but got a Kindle Paperwhite when they went on sale in December and would never go back! With my Nook, I needed to download books to my laptop with Adobe Digital Editions and then transfer to the Nook. With my Kindle, even with my library sites, I just choose a book and it goes onto my Kindle through Amazon in seconds. I also have Amazon Prime so I get tons of free books from Amazon as well. I throw my Kindle in my purse whenever I know I'll have a wait somewhere. (I got a cheap cover that does a great job protecting it). It also is easy to read out in the sun. You can't go wrong with the Paperwhite!
nhteachermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

$2.99 books
Old 02-07-2018, 11:30 AM

Sign up for Book Bub or Daily Reads (I think that's what it's called) and they send you daily suggestions.

Also, when you shop on the Kindle all sorts of genres pop up and you just scroll through the list. You can borrow some books for free.

Once you get it, just play around with it.

I also have Amazon Prime that gives a few more deals, but it's not necessary.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Very pleased
Old 02-07-2018, 12:00 PM

I got a Kindle Paperwhite just before an overseas vacation so I wouldn't have to take books along. It worked out well and I continue to alternate between reading on the Paperwhite and on paper.

If you are an Amazon prime member, they have a monthly deal where they select six books and you can get one free. Almost all of the others I've read on the Kindle are from my library. If I want to read a specific book, I generally borrow a hard copy from the library. If I'm more open, I borrow an ebook.

Amazon also offers unlimited ebooks for about $10 per month. I have not tried that.

I find that I love the ability to change the font. I'm at that stage in life when, despite glasses and pretty functional eyes, I sometimes decide not to read a paper book because the print is small.

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

fish2

Old 02-07-2018, 12:09 PM

I love my paperwhite. I can read at night without bothering DH by turning on a light. I usually just check out e-books from my local library, so easy to do. Mine uses Overdrive which makes it so easy, and I can put several on hold that get automatically checked out to me when they are available. I have found that if you put it in airplane mode they will not automatically return to the library.... if you need an extra day or two to finish reading! Just turn the airplane mode off after, and poof, they're gone. Love that!!
I read a lot at the beach or beside our pool, no glare. Big plus!
fish2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

okay.... you guys convinced me...
Old 02-07-2018, 02:48 PM

I just ordered one
I will have to play with it and learn about it- you may see more posts from me.
Our library also has tech help- so that is good!

I have had a nook and a mini ipad, but I hate the glare! and I am also interested in taking it traveling, etc. I also would like the light and reading at night....

Should be here Friday

ASAM

Old 02-07-2018, 02:54 PM

Congrats! I love mine too.
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 02-07-2018, 03:40 PM

Congratulations! You will love it. Iíve had mine for several years and bought DH one for Christmas last year. We both check out books from the library.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 02-07-2018, 07:14 PM

ar719 you will love your Paperwhite. I have had one for several years. I love being able to read in bed and not bother DH. The ability to change font sizes is good for my eyes too. I can read in bed without my reading glasses. I received a Kindle Voyage for Christmas, very similar to the Paperwhite. I have my Paperwhite cover that I would love to give you if you would like it. The cover will not fit my Voyage. I would mail it to you if you want to message me your address. If not that is fine too, happy reading.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote