Help

BusyBoard

Confused, Sad and shocked

>

Dayshablue1

Confused, Sad and shocked
Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi. I have a very serious problem. Yesterday the principal at my school told me that I wasn't a team player and needed to find a new school to teach at. I am a tenured teacher, I have been teaching for 7.5 years at public elementary schools. I have been at this particular school for 1.5 years. I teach in the greater NY area.

When I came aboard at this school I did not have any issues with the principal. The current issue arose from me sending an email to her about the state of affairs with my co-teacher. My co-teacher does not speak English clearly and constantly makes mistakes when it comes to teaching our 2nd grade students (they are special ed students). I am flustered because I have to teach my co-teacher along with my students who I love dearly. I wrote the email to the principal because I am being assessed along with the co-teacher as one unit, not individual unites.

The AP stated that I was getting a failing mark and that they didn't care because I am supposed to make sure that my co-teacher is on the same page and I am not doing this. How can I teach my student's as well as a co-teacher who doesn't want to be taught. My co-teacher is an older lady who taught in the Dominic Republic and only spoke Spanish to her students. I must note that she has only been my co-teacher from September to current. I find that the position that I am put into isn't a fair one and now with my principal coming after me due to my email to her (the email was sent over a week ago and it wasn't until yesterday that she said something to me).

Is there anything that I can do to rectify this situation and/or make my working environment conducive to where my students don't suffer while I am essentially teaching my co-teacher in a way that may seem like what she is being helped is her idea and not one that is forced on her? I might as well add that the school that I am teaching at is in my neighborhood, I am 6 months pregnant, and I love the school where I am teaching at. I am nervous, sad, fearful of what my next position and/or steps that I should take. I am sorry for being all over the place with this message as I am deeply upset.

Dayshablue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

co teacher
Old 02-07-2018, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know.. I can see both sides Dayshablue. First of all, it's not her fault if english is not her first language. She must be a decent teacher if she got this job. Kids tend to understand when people speak to them even if they speak with an accent or dialect. Where I live, its the norm.
Did you speak directly to her? Going to the P is pretty extreme. When you say she doesn't want to learn, what do you mean by that? Are you trying to teach her how to correctly pronounce words? Are your students really suffering? In what way are they truly suffering?
I'm sorry you're in this situation especially now you dont' need this stress being 6 months pregnant. Can you maybe speak to the P in person and tell her you had a stressful day and acted too quickly by sending an email. (just to keep your job) BTW.. how does this co teacher feel about all this and about you?
BTW..welcome to the best ever teacher forum. You'll get great advice here.
mom23kids is online now   Reply With Quote

EMO109

Union
Old 02-07-2018, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Go to your building reps and get their advice - they should be able to be present at any meeting with your admin, as well as give you advice as to what you should say or do. They can also sit down with you and your coteacher to help you find some common ground.
EMO109 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 02-07-2018, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
First of all, it's not her fault if english is not her first language.
Of course not! But, if she is supposed to be teaching in English then she has to be proficient in English. Just like the teachers in my school who teach in Spanish have to be proficient in Spanish. It's just a basic qualification.

I agree you should seek advice from your union.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

MollyDogsMom

Co teacher
Old 02-07-2018, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Perhaps the issue is your thinking that you need to teach your co teacher. If you feel you are the teacher of her or him vs an equal part of a team, I can see why the principal may view this as not being a team player . I'm really sorry if this comes across as harsh, but I'm not sure how else to put it. I know if I was a teacher in a team situation, I certainly would want to be treated as an equal even if my co teacher felt I wasn't perfect. We all have something to offer, even if somebody does not speak perfect English. Btw...I also worked with a teacher closely who had a very thick accent. English was her third or fourth language. She was harder to understand but could run circles around me (native speaker ) when it came to grammar and punctuation . We taught very very differently, but always showed great respect for each other (even when she was giving me tips on teaching grammar). We taught language arts to struggling college students.

Perhaps look at it from your co teachers point of view.

MollyDogsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Dayshablue1

scared and nervous
Old 02-07-2018, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi Thank you all for your responses.

No, it isn't her fault that English isn't her first language. However, the class is English only and I would understand if the class was a multi-language class.

I spoke with family members who are former and present educators to get some feedback from them. I have tried in the past to speak with her but she refused to listen to what I had to say. She has been to the principal numerous times stating that I don't want to work with her, that I undermine her and that I make her uncomfortable which isn't true at all. When I have tried to reach out to her all I received was rejection, I don't get how far I was supposed to go with all the rejection that I have received. When I tried to correct her it wasn't at all in anyway to diminish her purpose at all it was to help her get a better understanding of basic English mistakes. I have tried my best to reach out to her during our day. The Principal suggested that I

You asked if the student's are suffering, they are in one aspect when she truly doesn't want me to correct her on mispronounced words, example being, yesterday she was trying to say Banquet but instead kept saying Blanket. She has also spoken to kids of non-Spanish speaking backgrounds in Spanish. She stated to me that they want to learn Spanish. I get it and I find nothing wrong with teaching the kids another language but it shouldn't be done during lesson time. Teaching them another language is something that she can do after school or even on the weekends.

One of my family members suggested that I start by buying coffee and donuts tomorrow to start forming some type of communication bonding. It is something that I will do because if it will help relieve my stress then it is all for the best.

No, I can't speak with the Principal in person because we already had a meeting (Principal, 3 V-Principals, my co-teacher and myself) and she didn't want to hear anything that I had to say. The principal instead stated that I walk around thinking that my work is all the best when it isn't and that I wasn't a team player (which is the first time that I am hearing this) that it wasn't. I don't walk around like that because that isn't even part of my personality (let it be known during the past year and a half that I have been at the school I have never once received a bad report and I have been spot checked, had numerous appraisal during this time and never once did anyone say that they found any issues). The principal even signed off for me to take AP classes which I have been doing for the past year (if I had any bad marks, I wouldn't be allowed to take the AP course). All of these issues have been brought up due to my email. I was also told that I had volatile language in my email. The volatile parts of the email pertained to me telling the principal that I have been to my union rep numerous times (the principal wanted to know the dates that I have been to the rep. which is something that she isn't privy to and I explained this during the meeting). I find it strange that during the past year and half that no one not even the v-principals would have said something to me. All of this came out because of my email to the Principal.

Lastly the principal said that I should put myself on the open market for next year. I am tenured and there are no grounds for her to try to fire me. I will be going back to my union rep one day next week.

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. I truly appreciate all of you and the feedback from each of you.

Dayshablue1

scared and nervous
Old 02-07-2018, 08:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Oh, my gosh, no you are not coming off as harsh. I am hear to get advice and as teacher's we know that no questions or sayings are bad ones.

I have started out with us being equal but whenever I had something to say she didn't want to hear it. When we would do our lesson plans together we ended on the same page however, the next day she would switch it up in the middle which would throw me off because it wasn't what we discussed. I am not sure if her issue with me is my age or what but starting tomorrow I am going to try to break the ice. I am buying coffee, juice and a light breakfast as a surprise for us. When we have our staff meeting tomorrow I will have her sit with me. I am truly going to rethink and rework my interaction with her.

Thank you for responding back to me.

Dayshablue1

Union Rep
Old 02-07-2018, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi, thank you for your feedback.

I will be speaking with my union rep next week.

Yes, our class is English only because of the various cultures of our students (English, Spanish, Chinese, Russian to name a few).

Tomorrow starts a new day in my approach with my co-teacher. Coffee, juice and donuts for the morning and I am making sure that we sit together during our teachers meeting tomorrow as well.