Have you had success on the new Weight Watchers? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Have you had success on the new Weight Watchers?

>

heartmyjob

Have you had success on the new Weight Watchers?
Old 02-07-2018, 05:29 PM

I consider anything a diet when I canít eat whatever I want, whenever I want. Probably why Iím 50 pounds overweight!

Iíve done WW twice in the past. Both times I lost weight but gained it all back when I stopped the program. Both times I did it for 3 months.

But Iíve heard great things about this new ďFreestyleĒ program and decided to give it another go. Iím in my first week and I feel like I can eat way more than on the old program. I even went in the negatives on weekly points over the weekend but due to tracking steps on my Fitbit and syncing, Iím back in the positives. Iím too scared to get on the scale before my weigh in day but so far it has been surprisingly easy.

Has anyone had luck on this?

heartmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

bison06

Old 02-07-2018, 05:40 PM

The thing about WW and most ďdiet plansĒ is that youíll usually gain weight back when you stop. Thatís why itís important to make lifestyle changes... and also why Iíve lost over 20 pounds twice but gain it back when I get lazy/stressed. WW encourages lifestyle changes and is something you can do long term, some diets arenít necessarily safe or recommended to do long term.

All that being said, Iíve thought about going back to WW and trying again, I think their current promo is through the 12th.
bison06 is offline   Reply With Quote

bandmom

Old 02-08-2018, 01:25 AM

I first made WW Lifetime in 1988. Gained it back, lost more, repeat a lot. I recommitted to the lifestyle (which sounds cultish, doesn't it?) in January of 2015 and got back to goal in August of 2016 and have managed to maintain a 78 pound loss since then.

What I'm finding with the new program is that even though proteins like chicken and turkey (and read those labels - 99% fat free vs 86% fat free makes a difference in points) I still need to weigh and measure portions - they're just 0 points. "Chowing down" on 0 point foods will show up at the scale. I do go to my meeting every week and weigh in every week for accountability. I took 2 weeks off at Christmas and gained 4.5 back in those 2 weeks. But Freestyle helped my lose it again.

For me, it was easier to lose than it is to maintain.
bandmom is online now   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 02-08-2018, 04:08 AM

I tried the new Freestyle program but ditched it after gaining 5 lbs in two weeks. I also gained weight on the older version with some foods being free points.

Even though the foods are free points, they are not free of calories. Eating two bananas (200 calories - 0 points) is not different in regards to weight loss as eating 200 calories of a chocolate bar (6 points).

Like any other program, if you go off of it, you are going to gain the weight back.

I lost 45lbs just tracking my calories (in MFP) and moving more. I was still able to eat pizza, or cheesecake when I wanted, I just had to budget the calories.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-08-2018, 07:45 AM

I always echo choppie.

I would gain on WW. I used free MyFitnessPal, recording calories and exercise. I lost 36 lbs and am now at my high school weight. Very happy. I still use MFP to maintain.

BUT losing weight is hard work. I exercise daily and eat carefully. Good luck to you!

Last edited by amiga13; 02-08-2018 at 08:01 AM..
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

My friend is following it...
Old 02-08-2018, 08:49 AM

She was assigned 23 points and is into her second week. Her weigh-in was today, so I'm not sure how she did, but she was definitely true to the program. When I was on the old program, we had to weigh and measure, which was great for portion control. There were also groups of foods, and you were limited in quantity for most of them. Fruits were definitely not unlimited, as they are now, and starchy veggies like peas and corn were in a different group than other veggies like broccoli or lettuce. Looking at the assigned point values, you can definitely plan to eat most things, but it looks like a low-carb, low fat plan to me. We did join a local gym together, and I think for her, the exercise added in plus the effort on her part to eliminate a lot of sugar, her weakness, through the WW plan, will be a game-changer. Good luck to everyone out there, it's a battle for sure no matter what you're doing.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote