Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Entryway organization

>

Paddlegurl

Entryway organization
Old 02-08-2018, 04:41 PM

I am sick of walking into my house and being frustrated by clutter. We have a good sized mudroom, but it seems like it's always a disaster. I need your best organization tips. Specifically:

What do you do with your purse, school bag, etc when you come in?

Where do you put keys, gloves, mail, etc?

How do you store mittens, hats, etc? (we're in Canada, we have a lot of them!)

Those of you with small kids - where do you keep your stroller?

I'm looking at shelves and benches and such, but I don't want to end up with a beautiful mudroom full of expensive furniture that's still a disaster! I appreciate any advice you can give me!

Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

time4class

Old 02-08-2018, 04:57 PM

We have a double closet with boots/shoes on one side on shelves and coats on the other. In the middle of this closet is a fairly large cabinet, each person has his/her own shelf. We also have a coat tree mainly for dog leashes and purses. Each person gets to have one pair boots/shoes on the mat and the rest go in the closet.( yes, I usually have to move the extras) Something that helped me stay organized was to keep extra mitts, scarves, hats etc. in a totally separate bin. I found that if I had one or two pairs of gloves and one pair of warm mitts I was much better at putting them away. We don't often use the back-up stuff and, with it out of the way, we can see what we have. We also have a small table with a lamp and I keep a bowl on it for keys.
time4class is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 02-08-2018, 05:10 PM

My daughter bought an inexpensive shelving unit with square cubbies. There are canvas baskets that fit into each slot. The slots can be used for shoes and the baskets can hold accessories such as gloves and hats.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

We had an eat in kitchen, but
Old 02-08-2018, 06:41 PM

When all the kids left, I changed the table area into a sort of mudroom. I did get a shelf with hooks and cubbies. Under it is a shoe bench. I also have a table under a window that has small drawers for keys and such. Purses and hats go in the cubbies. I manage to get the shelf and shoe bench for under $200 on Black Friday. I want to get a small tall basket for umbrellas and such stuff. Another cool idea I saw was lockers. Each person in the family has his/her own. That, along with some shelves could work well too.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

4leaves

I watch
Old 02-08-2018, 09:00 PM

Clutterbug on youtube and love her ideas and personality. She talks about keys and all, and does a nice mudroom makeover in her house. I need to see things done before I am very successful at doing them myself. Let me know if you watch her and if her ideas help.

4leaves is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 02-09-2018, 02:40 AM

Our mudroom is fairly small.

We have a bench that has storage underneath. I keep baskets of our hats/gloves/mittens/scarves in there. One side for DD and one side for DH and I.

On the opposite wall we have hooks on the wall to hang our coats. The weather in Maine is crazy so we have our lighter jackets and our heavier jackets there.

On the floor under the wall hooks, we have a shoe rack to put all of our current weather shoes on.

I take my purse and my school bag and put them right into my office area in the family room.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Mudroom
Old 02-09-2018, 04:40 AM

My “mudroom” is a small closet. The most helpful thing I did was take off the door and install hooks. Seems no one in my family is capable of opening the door and using hangers. I also put in a shelf at the top with two baskets for hats and gloves. A shelf at the bottom holds bags and shoes get thrown underneath it. I have a hook by the back door for keys.
Mail gets looked at immediately and sorted, junk mail in the trash, bills go to the desk. I do as much electronically as possible to cut down on the mail.
The stroller has to stay in the garage, just no room for it.
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote