Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

FB friend request declined

>

elepen

FB friend request declined
Old 02-09-2018, 08:47 AM

How do you feel when your FB friend request gets declined ????

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 02-09-2018, 08:54 AM

I haven't had one declined but have had one ignored. It was painful.
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 02-09-2018, 08:55 AM

I never send fb requests but I do decline them. I have a very small (@70) group of fb friends and I want to keep it that way. I only have close family and friends. Iíve had requests from lovely people that I decline because they are just not part of my close circle. Doesnít mean I donít like them, just means I have no interest in sharing details of my life with them. Please donít get your feelings hurt over it, everyone uses fb in their own personal way.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 02-09-2018, 09:00 AM

I have had situations where I met someone in person who I thought I got along with well, I sent them a friend request and they ignored it. I used to not use my real name on Facebook though so that could have had something to do with it.

As a result, I stopped sending friend requests. I havenít sent any since I changed my profile back to my real name. That could be an interesting experiment.

One thing that would make me feel bad is when both my husband and I would meet someone and both get them as a friend on Facebook. Somewhere down the line they unfriend me but keep my husband as a friend. I felt like they had a greater respect for him than for me and was never sure why.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 02-09-2018, 09:07 AM

Thank you for your responses

I'm glad I'm old and can see how this can affect teenagers.
I only have 100 friends that are family and friends.
Some of the friends are past difficult coworkers and bosses. It offers closure, healing and a catharsis for me. I've only had one person who declined and they were a difficult coworker.

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 02-09-2018, 09:13 AM

I often decline requests from coworkers, because what gets posted on FB can lead to problems at work. Last year a teacher in our building got hauled into the principal's office because she shared a news story on FB that the P decided was inappropriate. The teacher is NOT friends with the P on FB, but someone she IS friends with had printed the story out and took it to the P. Needless to say, that teacher went through and deleted all her FB "work friends" after being tattled on. (The story was not really inappropriate either! It was all a big fuss over nothing.)
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 02-09-2018, 10:20 AM

Does it notify you when that happens? I just don't really send requests very much. I do know I sent a friend request to my cousin when I first joined and was sending requests to all of my family. He apparently ignored or declined it. It annoyed me, but I can't really say I like him all that much anyway
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Facebook
Old 02-09-2018, 10:45 AM

It would bother me if someone I was close to rejected my request. I ignore or decline most FB friend requests. I don't want to increase my number of friends very much. I like having a friends list that is made up of close friends and family members.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 02-09-2018, 10:57 AM

I recently saw that one person wants to friend me. I'm ignoring it because her posts are usually political and very hurtful to certain groups of people. We used to be fb friends, then I blocked her posts because I don't believe in her rhetoric. THEN she got banned from FB. SHe's back again and requested to be friends but after looking at her posts, she is still the same. I don't want to be associated with people that hateful. I rarely send out requests, and I can see how it would be hurtful.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-09-2018, 11:19 AM

Never had a decline. I barely deal with FB. I only have "43" friends.

MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-09-2018, 11:39 AM

The ones I have declined are usually people that I don't know well, so that is fine.

It is a little weird when people I talk to regularly or knew well in the past decline a request.

However, people treat FB differently, so I try not to take it personally.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-09-2018, 04:28 PM

I would feel badly if it was someone I felt was a legitimate friend. If you're describing this person as a "difficult coworker," I imagine she probably feels the same about you, or at the very least doesn't feel like you are a close personal friend. Personally, I don't like to have coworkers as FB friends unless we are close friends who spend time together outside of school.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 02-09-2018, 10:21 PM

It is hurtful. I have several that have never been acknowledged. However I think in a lot of cases these people either do not realize/remember who you are or in even more cases, or so it seems, they aren't on FB enough to realize they have these requests. I was on FB for two years and didn't realize where my notifications were, seriously, until my son saw that I had like 2000 of them and pointed them out !

What I think hurts more, is when you figure out that someone has unfriended you.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-10-2018, 08:40 AM

I will admit that when I retired I unfriended and blocked two former coworkers. They were never my friends and I felt I couldnít decline their friend requests while I was working with them. But neither of them ever liked or commented on anything I posted, so Iím not sure why they requested to be friends. I assume they were nosy. They are both well-known gossips. I have to say it felt really good to unfriend and block them so they canít see any of my personal stuff.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 02-10-2018, 08:59 AM

I thought you wouldn't know, either? I only decline people I don't know. If I don't want to friend them, I just let them sit in limbo. Then how do they know whether I even looked at it or not?
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-10-2018, 09:02 AM

If they decline the request, it disappears. If they ignore it or don't see it, it just sits there. So, if you go to that person's timeline and "Send Friend Request" is an option, you know they declined your previous request. Does that make sense?
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote