I canít believe he is suggesting I drive to an event in a snowstorm - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I canít believe he is suggesting I drive to an event in a snowstorm

>

jazzer

I canít believe he is suggesting I drive to an event in a snowstorm
Old 02-08-2018, 11:47 AM

I am excited about a dinner tonight scheduled with other area franchise owners of the travel franchise I own. We also will get to meet the home office regional coach who will be in town from Florida.

Also, I am extremely close to making my first booking for someone I have been researching a trip for for the last two days. She said they are about ready to book but we had a couple of details to iron out. I want to share that as well.

We have a winter storm warning starting at 6:00 tonight going all the way until at least 9pm Friday night. As much as 8-14 inches could fall.

I would be driving there close to the beginning of the storm and coming home as it is getting into the thick of it. My husband first offered to drive me there but though I could do it myself.

I did email the group stating that I was excited about the outing but concerned about the snow. They could possibly cancel.

I am not sure why my husband thinks I should drive in a blizzard. I am going to the travel show on Saturday that the coach is in town for.

Should I go? I will monitor the weather when we get close to start time if I donít hear from anyone.

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-08-2018, 11:49 AM

Unless it is an emergency, I don't go anywhere when it is snowing.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 02-08-2018, 11:56 AM

Nope! Sounds like the meeting would be good for inspiration and maybe some practical advice but I don't see it as actually necessary and it's not worth the risk of driving in a major storm. I don't think you should go even if your DH drives you, it's as much a danger to him as you.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 02-08-2018, 12:13 PM

I am not sure how things are in that area, but around here things close like crazy with that much snow. If you seriously think the event might cancel, I don't think you should go. Then again, I know when you are in business for yourself, you make choices you might not otherwise have to make.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Marriedin79

Old 02-08-2018, 01:22 PM

Might it be possible for someone to FaceTime the meeting?

Marriedin79 is online now   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 02-08-2018, 01:37 PM

Don't go! You will be endangering yourself and everyone else on the road. Stay home and be safe!
JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 02-08-2018, 01:37 PM

I don’t think anyone will FaceTime it. It is strictly a social event. My husband is adamant that since the storm is over a 24 hour period and that it will get heavier at midnight, that I will only have to deal with light snow coming back home. Also, he claims that traffi.c should not be an issue at 8:30 or 9pm coming home. I live approximately 30 minutes from the location.

I guess I have to go, but will not be happy if I am stuck in a big mess coming home.

Oddly, only one person has cancelled so far and the reason was not because of snow, but because she was going to have to drive her kids around because her husband suddenly has to work late.

No one else in the group seems to be concerned, and many live the same distance from the place that I do if not further.

Gromit

Old 02-08-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I guess I have to go, but will not be happy if I am stuck in a big mess coming home.
No, you don't. You are an adult who gets to make decisions whether your husband likes it or not. I would not do something I thought was dangerous just because my husband said I should do it. If you feel you have to put yourself in danger to appease him, that's something to consider seriously regarding your relationship dynamics.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 02-08-2018, 02:08 PM

My decision would depend on how long of a drive and the types of roads, as well as, typical snow conditions of the area.

You can make up your own mind, but I would look at what the weather is predicting for those hours. Then if you don't feel comfortable, don't go.

jazzer

Old 02-08-2018, 02:14 PM

No, I really donít have to go. If I didnít, my husband would not say anything about it or punish me or anything. If I was truly against it, I wouldnít go. My hesitation to pull the trigger on going is because I have exciting news, because the report claims that the snow will not be a big deal until midnight, and because only one person cancelled with reason having nothing to do with the weather. No one else seems to be concerned about it. I would think the event would be cancelled. Maybe it wonít be bad until well after I get home.

PoohBear

Old 02-08-2018, 02:19 PM

I was going to say exactly what Gromit said! I know you feel like you have to prove to your DH (and the D is most definitely not dear in this case! ) that you are doing all you can for this business but that does not include putting yourself in danger!

ETA: you posted while I was typing �� I still think you should not go if you are at all concerned about the weather conditions, especially since it’s specifically a social event. I know you’re excited about a booking but remind yourself that it’s not going to be your only one and there will be plenty of opportunities to share good news!

Hifiman

Your husband is crazy!
Old 02-08-2018, 02:23 PM

Does he really not care about the car? Ridiculous!
Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 02-08-2018, 02:38 PM

Do not go. Not worth the possible accident, injury, or stress. The accidents in storms this winter in my area and on the news have been very numerous and scary!
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

teach2read10

Avoid it
Old 02-08-2018, 03:09 PM

It's always good to avoid driving in any form of precipitation.
teach2read10 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

No
Old 02-08-2018, 06:00 PM

I would not put my life at risk for anything short of an emergency. And I worry about other drivers in situations like this who may be traveling too fast for conditions. Your husband once again doesn't sound supportive. And he isn't putting his life at risk by offering to drive you and bring you home.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 02-08-2018, 06:06 PM

I agree with gromit's reasoning. Your husband sounds very controlling and I hope you can get more confidence in your ability to decide what is best for your life.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 02-09-2018, 07:35 AM

Well, I ended up being wrong. My husband drove me there. There were about 20 people at the gathering and the restaurant we were at was packed with other people who were not concerned about the storm yet.

When I asked others about it, they said that according to the news, it looked like it was going to to be fairly light until midnight when it was really going to come down and they were right. We had no problem getting home either even though the snow had started. This is why I still wanted to go, I had an instinct that we didnít have to worry about weather until later when the event was over.

I understand what people here are saying, but donít make assumptions based on what I say. I said several times that I can and do make my own choices, Perhaps I didnít phrase it well and gave everyone the wrong impression. Yes my husband has been stressed about my business, but if he didnít consider my feelings and I let him push me around, I would have been out of it months ago. He wants be to be happy and that is where the frustration came in. You donít know me or my entire situation. I donít tolerate being pushed around and I always stand up to him.

PoohBear

Old 02-09-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I understand what people here are saying, but donít make assumptions based on what I say.
We donít actually know you, so what you say is pretty much the only thing we can go on.

jazzer

Old 02-09-2018, 11:48 AM

I didn’t explain that very well. I don’t lie or exaggerate anything on here, however, there is so much more to my life and relationship with my husband then what I post. We have a good relationship, I just tend to post about the frustrations which every married couple has. There are many good things that I may not necessarily post just because they are just daily life things.