Kindergarten

Student Will Not Write

>

MissEmmaJ7

Student Will Not Write
Old 02-09-2018, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

I have a kindergartner who is advanced in all subjects. Her math and other subjects are first-grade level, and she reads at a low third-grade level. Her handwriting is perfect and her spelling is fantastic. But, she can/will not write. I understand she is in kindergarten and is of course not expected to be some amazing writer, but I cannot figure out why she struggles with getting even one little sentence on the paper.

I have tried free write, prompts, and all different kinds of writing. We have been doing writers workshop, but recently I have tried a more free approach and most of them seem to love it. Still, however, she takes forever to write. Even if I am standing over her, encouraging her or even expliciely telling her what to write, she often just says "I don't know" and stares at the page. She is not one of my most "creative minded" students, but still I cannot understand what the block/prblem is.

Anyone else experience a child like this? Should I be concerned or is it just a phase? Any tips?

Thanks everyone!
Emma

MissEmmaJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-10-2018, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think writing (not letter formation, actually putting thoughts into the written word) is the absolutely hardest thing for little ones. It is scary for them, and it sounds like this kiddo is accustomed to everything coming pretty easily to her. So she's balking at something she isn't confident about. Many "advanced" kids would rather not try than try and "fail" or even struggle.

I think you need to work on building her confidence and encouraging risk taking. My philosophy is they can't do it (whatever "it" is) until they believe they can. I'd talk whole group about how "making mistakes is how we learn," "you don't learn anything from doing it "right,"' and so on. I am not saying you do this, but I never ever call anything they write "wrong." There are no re-writes, no revisions, no corrections. If a kid writes:

AJMT RTOS

And "reads" to me:

I went to the store and bought a stuffed animal

I write that underneath and tell that kid what an amazing writer s/he is.

Long way to say writing is both developmental and intimidating. Be a cheerleader, create a safe environment for risk taking, and nudge her along.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 02-10-2018, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Adding to Zia's input.....I have an author's chair and one child shares per day.

I work from writing the sentence for them in highlighter pen to the student eventually writing down beginning sound. Then we go to beginning sound and ending sound. Then we move to student writing beginning,middle and ending sound. I write in highlighter and student traces afterwards. We do a five minute draw first and we talk to each other about what we are going to write.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 02-10-2018, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Exactly what Zia said!

I have also had conversations with students outside of "writing" time, then made a note of something they said. Sometimes I will write it out and have them copy. Sometimes I will dictate it back to them. For some it gives just enough support for them to start seeing their own words in print and can start to nudge them on a bit.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote