Help

Kindergarten

I think I want to suggest retention

>

Sbkangas5

I think I want to suggest retention
Old 01-18-2018, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

And I'm pretty against retention, knowing the statistics. I've only suggested it one other time and it was very early in my career.

But this little baby - I really think that her difficulties in school lie with her difficulties at home. Mom is... interesting. Still not quite sure if it's mental issues or addiction. Dad is in and out of the picture and abused mom in front of the kids. They now live with grandma, and grandpa is in hospice. She's child #3 of 4. She's very very young - just made the cutoff by days. She is progressing but very slowly and certainly won't be at grade level by the end of the year. Doesn't talk much in class but is very chatty one on one. She's happy at school and hates to go home. Her brother is in 2nd and doing well academically.

*sigh* This is one of those hard ones. I don't think there are learning issues but I, of course, am not positive. I hate to suggest it if I'm wrong but... Mom will be on board. She has mentioned retention more than once (and the first time was before school had even started!).

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-18-2018, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's so hard! I'm against retention, too...it works so rarely. But this kiddo could be one of the ones it works for. Have you done Light's Retention Scale? It can be clarifying.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-19-2018, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Have you done Light's Retention Scale?
No - I've actually never used it although I've heard about it. I'm going to look into it!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 01-19-2018, 10:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It has helped me make similar decisions in the past. It isn't definitive, but it is one more piece of information. Best luck.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 02-17-2018, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have a boy I want to retain this year also.....he too, just made the cut-off date and is the youngest in my class. His mother is my custodian at my school and dad is a truck driver, both speak English, but do not always understand and that is the case with all four of their children. I have had all the older children as well and the two oldest ones struggle with academics. They are generally respectful kids, though this little one was quite sassy at first, now much improved. He cannot reliably count to 5 and has just mastered recognizing quantities of 2, sometimes 3-4. He knows all letter names and most sounds, though not all the vowels consistently. He knows 3 sight words. He's made progress, but has never really been read to at home. He's made progress so I don't think there is a learning disability, I think the core problem is lack of understanding English. Parents are very loving, but mom works nights, dad cannot get children to sleep before she comes home at 11:30 p.m., this has been a consistent problem for all four. The next oldest met standard last year in kindergarten, but I knew his comprehension was sketchy and he is lowest reader in his first grade class. He had a Nov. birthday and was older. Mom does not want to retain, Dad is somewhat onboard. I, too, don't like to retain, but most of the research is not based on kindergarten retention and this boy will mostly be oblivious. I can't see passing him on, knowing full-well, that he will struggle and given another year might help him tremendously. I've done the Light's Retention Scale and he qualified. Just need to convince parents...

Last edited by jacque/Wa/K-1; 02-17-2018 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: additional info
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote