Help

Teacher News & Opinion

School Shootings and Empowered Youth

>

Cloud99

School Shootings and Empowered Youth
Old 02-22-2018, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am sure that I am like so many of you - saddened and upset not only by the latest school shooting but also by all the ones before.

Stories about the JROTC students awarded medal and the one accepted into West Point break my heart.

The is the vent and many posts are about problematic students, parents, and administrators.

Stories about the high school students across the country speaking out against gun violence is truly heartening. The students from Stoneman Douglas school have been particularly articulate.

It is incredible to see so many young people voice their opinions and seek to change things in a positive and powerful way. It gives me hope for the future of this country.

I do not want to turn this post into a debate about gun control or disturbed students. I just want to say how impressive it is that they can take their grief and channel it into something meaningful with the potential to change things.

Cloud99 is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

I'm not saddened or upset
Old 02-22-2018, 08:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The first few shootings, whether at school or a mall, was shocking, but this isn't. I was wondering why I didn't have all these strong emotions so I brought it up in my codependency group. Wiser people than I explained that if we allow ourselves to be emotional over all the things that we are not personally connected to then we become a mess. I think the shooting is a sad event, but I don't feel it. I also don't think it's going to happen at my school. It could, but the probability is unlikely.

I also think that these students are being organized by groups that have a political agenda. Well, that's the way it was for me anyway, when I was 14 in 1970. They came in and fired us up and out we walked. I can't even remember what the cause was. I probably didn't even know then, but like most kids, we were eager to do something. Granted the students at the actual school or in that vicinity would certainly have reason to become involved. But thousands of miles away? Very adult organized.

That's my opinion without entering the gun debate or disturbed student issues.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Penguin82

Old 02-22-2018, 08:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Too bad people don't get as upset when they hear what has happened in Chicago.

22 wounded 6 dead just in one day.
In 2017 Chicago had 650 murders
2016 771 murders.

Where are the people advocating for safety in Chicago?
Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nearly

Old 02-22-2018, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"I just want to say how impressive it is that they can take their grief and channel it into something meaningful with the potential to change things."

I, too, find that very impressive, and I hope they will be heard. So many Americans want to ban semi-automatic weapons and bump stock, but the NRA is tone deaf. This morning I heard a debate on the radio about proposals requiring teachers to have a weapon in the classroom. Crazy!
Nearly is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 02-22-2018, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also think it is great for students to become involved in causes, especially those that have an impact on their lives. I am from Chicago, Penguin, and the violence is gang related. The majority of the city is still a wonderful place to be. And Trunch, I will never forget what a state trooper told our faculty soon after Columbine. I teach in a beautiful, higher income school in the suburbs. He told us we should worry because the schools who are in the most danger are like mine. The schools in the city are more prepared.

hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 02-22-2018, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I also think that these students are being organized by groups that have a political agenda....Granted the students at the actual school or in that vicinity would certainly have reason to become involved. But thousands of miles away? Very adult organized.
I think you forget about the power of social media and how truly, truly connected kids are through technology these days. They may have the guidance of some parents or adults, but watching them, following their twitter feeds, and seeing the typical teenage stuff interspersed with their activism, it's clear to me that this is coming from them.

I am so in awe of them.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 02-23-2018, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm also glad to see young people working for the changes I believe they want to see. They've grown up in a different world than we did, and they are going to build a very different future. Will it be perfect? Of course not! They'll make mistakes, just like we did. But I do believe they'll also correct some.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Elyssa

Students are organizing themselves.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Did you ever try to get even five students to do something they did not want to do??

Quote:
I also think that these students are being organized by groups that have a political agenda.
The political agenda is that students would like to be safe at school. Horrifying, I know.

Quote:
Well, that's the way it was for me anyway, when I was 14 in 1970
Does Kent State ring a bell??
Elyssa is offline   Reply With Quote

Elyssa

I am assuming many of the Chicago
Old 02-23-2018, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

deaths also involve guns?

Quote:
Where are the people advocating for safety in Chicago?
It is all one big ball of wax. Limit access to guns and we will be safer. Period. P.S. All the hunters can keep their hunting rifles.
Elyssa is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Truth and Lies about Chicago's gun laws
Old 02-23-2018, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...003-story.html

JanetL is offline   Reply With Quote