Kindergarten

Dr. Seuss

>

SevernK

Dr. Seuss
Old 02-21-2018, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi!

I am looking to jazz up my Dr. Seuss activities. What engaging activities have you done in your classrooms to celebrate Dr. Seuess' birthday? Thank you in advance!

SevernK is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

The Cat In The Hat
Old 02-21-2018, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

After reading The Cat in the Hat, I point out the section where the cat balances stuff — the we go over 3 dimensional shapes. I wrap boxes and use balls and such. I have kids volunteer to try to balance items. We talk about which shapes can stack, slide and/or roll. They names 3D shapes as we try to balance. Lots of fun!

Look on YouTube for a cool song — stack, slide or roll. I’ll try to oust more info later!

Last edited by IA11; 02-21-2018 at 06:39 PM..
IA11 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-22-2018, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One of my favorite activities isn't necessarily exciting, but I always love it. We read "My Many Colored Days" and then I have the kids do a picture like in the book. They use chalk, and we talk about how the pictures are very simple and only two colors. I show them how to blend the chalk to fill in the space, and use the end to draw the details in the same color. The kids get to draw any animal, and then fill in a sentence frame "On my ____ days I feel ____". It's simple but they always look fantastic and the kids really enjoy the art!
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

SevernK

Dr. Seuss
Old 02-22-2018, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you! Those are both great ideas. I know the kids will enjoy aspects of both activities. I hadn't heard of "My Many Colored Days" but after looking it up, I am very intrigued! I am definitely going to give them a try next week. Thanks again!
SevernK is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Both great ideas!
Old 02-24-2018, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have My Many Colored Days & don't always get to read it to them because it is so different than the rest of the Seuss books but I love that project to go with it. Simple but sounds fun.

One thing we do is a take on the Green Eggs & Ham book. Our book is Where Do You Read Your Dr Seuss Books? We brainstorm rhyming words & the kids each do a page "I would read them in a boat." "I would read them with a goat.", etc. It can get fun & creative, depending on the rhyming words they choose.

VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote