Help

BusyBoard

feeling bad about my class

>

mom23kids

feeling bad about my class
Old 02-21-2018, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I lost my patience even though it was really the first time they were "bad". I have the nicest (I thought) best class that I think I've ever had! But on Friday they were mean to each other. We have over 80 commendation cards, the most in the school for good behavior, being respectful and kind. Well Friday there were 3 incidents in my class of kids not being kind, leaving others out and just being mean girls and boys.
I found out about the last incident as we were lining up to go home as a boy was crying ad telling me what happened.
I was so upset (and it was time to leave) that I told them how disappointed I was in them, and if they want a mean teacher they can keep it up... I then gave them another full page writing assignment on why we must be kind to our classmates (we're on winter break so they have a full week) but I forgot to tell the crying kids they didnt have to do it and I feel bad about the assignment cause they're always so good. If I had think time I wouldve just addressed it when we got back, but I was so upset. ugh

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

It happens
Old 02-21-2018, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don't beat yourself up. Everyone loses it once in a while.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote
Ji.

Ji.

Feedback
Old 02-22-2018, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hey dont worry about it now. But I will say that if I made any kid cry in my class, Id have parents rapping at my classroom door the very next day....and likely an angry email that night! :/

NHSecondary

Email
Old 02-22-2018, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Can you email the good kids' parents and let them know those kids are off the hook?
NHSecondary is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 02-22-2018, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Good idea about emailing but all their contact info is at school.. I'll talk to them Monday I guess and apologize

mom23kids

Old 02-22-2018, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
But I will say that if I made any kid cry in my class, Id have parents rapping at my classroom door the very next day....and likely an angry email that night! :/
I didn't make them cry, kids in the class were mean and made them cry.

MaineSub

Old 02-23-2018, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

An apology sounds great... but I would be very specific in making it. What are you going to apologize for? Giving them the assignment? Acting out of disappointment or while you were upset? The threat of becoming a "mean" teacher?

Just to play the devil's advocate... the kids did not have a good day, probably due in part to the typical pre-vacation excitement. The questions might be "Did you over-react?" "Does the fact they are usually nice offset the three incidents that happened on Friday?"

I think you can address it when you get back. I would do so very strategically, though. Again, being the devil's advocate, what exactly is it you want to accomplish? It will be interesting to see how many complete the assignment (if you don't withdraw it--personally I wouldn't) and what they have to say. What I see here is an opportunity.

Teachers are human too... I've said and done some things I've regretted when the kids have managed to get on my last nerve. I've apologized to kids for occasionally over-reacting or making a decision without having some important information.

I'm not suggesting we rationalize our errors but I do think they create opportunities. The kids need to see our humanity and understand it--just as they need to see and understand their own. Just be careful your regret for what you did doesn't mean you end up "ignoring" what they did. This is a shared problem. Don't take all the responsibility for it.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 02-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you MaineSub... Good advice!

MaineSub

Old 02-25-2018, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You're welcome!

I'm a big believer in focusing on behavior first and feelings are a distant second. (Not suggesting we shouldn't be empathetic, obviously.)

Kid: "I hate math!"

Teach: "I understand, but my instruction was 'open your math journal..." (I have been known to add, "I didn't ask whether or not you liked math.")

"I know we were all excited (stressed) on Friday... are there some things we all could have done better?"

The irony is they will probably all be equally excited about being back at school.

Would love to hear how it goes tomorrow if you don't mind sharing!
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote