Kindergarten

Basal background

>

The searcher

The searcher

Basal background
Old 01-30-2018, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our district is in the process of reviewing basal series. We would love to hear thoughts from teachers currently using Wonders, Journeys, Ready Gen or Benchmark Advance. Thoughts on materials organization, cost, effectiveness, necessary components. Pros and Cons please. When did you begin using? PD needed. Test scores? Etc. Info from the trenches is sooooo important! Terrible to make discoveries after the fact.

NoKetchup

Old 01-31-2018, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use Ready Gen and we HATE IT. The primary grade are severly lacking in foundational skills. We were told by the representative that the program was developed for "upper and middle class students so it does not TEACH foundational skills, it just give them practice in it". Coming from a district with high poverty rates this is against everything my students need so we went to the district and begged them for us to keep Jolly Phonics, and Michael Heggerty. They said yes for our grade (kindergarten( but two years into the program other grades are complaining of the same thing. I know that in the upper grades the teachers feel like the writing is not strong and they are requesting to purchase a writing program to implement.
NoKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-31-2018, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We've been using Wonders for 2 years. I don't like it, but other teachers I work with do. I find the themes jumpy and strange (as in they talk about America and Presidents a month after President's Day, or gardens and plants in the dead of winter, that sort of thing), the phonemic awareness is not taught in a logical sequence, it is very scripted (think 4 pages in the teachers manual for one read aloud ), and the writing component is horrid. We were drawn to the leveled readers (the same story but in 3 different levels) but have found that the high readers are way too high and the low readers are either the same as the on-level readers or are way too low.

The pros - there are a LOT of resources and it's pretty. And it's nice that there is an integrated ELD component. It's probably good for a less experienced teacher who needs more guidance and direction, but if you've been teaching a while you know there's a lot better stuff out there.

I have heard that our upper grade teachers like it.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The searcher

The searcher

Basal Background
Old 01-31-2018, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks appreciate the input!

Haley23

Old 01-31-2018, 11:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm not a classroom teacher, but my school started Wonders 2 years ago and everyone hates it. One of the reasons that program was chosen was because there is an aligned intervention program, Wonder Works. The intention was for title 1/reading intervention teachers to use that program in pull out groups in order to be aligned with classroom instruction.

Long story short, the Wonder Works wasn't nearly as intensive as our kids need and was abandoned before the first year was even over. I'm in a very high poverty school were most students struggle significantly with just learning the basics of how to read. We need to supplement a lot with phonics interventions (both in pull outs and within gen ed/classroom instruction) using other resources. I'm sure a higher SES school would do better with the "rigor" in Wonders.

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Searcher

The Searcher

Old 02-28-2018, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks! Those already using have experience- otherwise we are listening to sales reps. What about the technology? Seems to be 1 selling piece for our district. Does it work well for you?