Help

BusyBoard

NWEA MAP Skills

>

tlcwade

NWEA MAP Skills
Old 02-26-2018, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use MAP Skills (formerly called Skills Navigator)? Our school is implementing it and I am so lost. I am the tech teacher for grades 5- 8 but I oversee the teacher who runs our K-4 lab, so I kind of need advice from all grades. For anyone who's used this...

How do you know the kids are using the resources? Many of my students are not viewing the videos, but simply opening the link and then closing the tab. So it looks like they are completing levels while they are not. They are even fussing about the games.

Does anyone have a good record keeping idea...A punchcard or check list or something that they'd be willing to share?

TIA

tlcwade is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Don't have this, but...
Old 02-26-2018, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We don't have this comment with our MAPS, but at my old school, we used a variety of online programs like Khan Academy, Front Row, Moby Max, etc. I made my kids fill out a "reflection log" that they kept in their data folder. I customized it for the different program we used. I'm not familiar with this MAP Skills/Skills Navigator thing, so I don't know how you would set it up, but for the ones we did, I would have some thing like "Date", "Lesson Completed", "Time it Took", "Questions Answered", and "What did you learn/Prove it" (or something to that extent. Basically, whatever lesson they completed, they proved they could do it either by creating a problem and solving it, summarizing/reflecting on their learning, etc. I'm not sure if that will work with Skills Navigator, and it didn't fix all problems, but it helped. It helped me get a feel for what kids were doing, especially if they were working on it while I pulled small groups and it also helped me get a better feel from the student's perspective what exactly they were doing, learning, and taking away from it.

Again, I'm not familiar with Skills Navigator on MAPS, but could a Screen Shot of some type work? Say when they click on the resource, when they are finished "using that resource" they need to take a screen shot to prove they actually used/did the resource vs. just clicking on it and then they could submit the screen shot through e-mail, Google Classroom, SeeSaw, etc. along with a description of what they learned from that resource or it was about? At my last school, when we had RtI time, my students not in intervention groups were given a list of other items to choose from such, as projects, book clubs, independent reading, enrichment work, etc. I had them take a picture of what they did and then include a message, either a voice message or text though SeeSaw that they submitted to me. In their message, they explained what they did and the picture backed it up. It worked fairly well. Yes, some kids could still lie, but this helped hold them accountable.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 02-26-2018, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am going to preface this with the knowledge that I have received zero training on MAP Skills and just trying to figure it out on my own.

I believe that in order to move a kid to the "proficient" level they have to pass a mastery test. If they're not watching the videos or doing the actual work, they won't improve or be able to pass a mastery test.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

tlcwade

In the same boat
Old 02-26-2018, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, I am flying by the seat of my pants here!! TBH, they don't care if they level up. And I'm spending hours of my life assigning Locators, Resources, and Mastery Missions. I have about 120 students and I'm pulling my hair out!!

tlcwade

I like the accountability
Old 02-26-2018, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the idea! I added an exit slip through forms. I'm going to try that tomorrow.

SportingKC

TLCWade
Old 02-27-2018, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Exit slips are a great idea. I was also thinking of giving them some sort of "perk" when they master something...

Any chance you've found a good tutorial for how MAP Skills is all supposed to work? I feel like I'm only doing about 1/4th of what I could be doing...
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

tlcwade

Tutorials
Old 02-28-2018, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have not found many tutorials. The NWEA site is less than helpful. I feel like I have to view each resource before I assign it to see if it makes it through our filter, if it is a game or just reading information, etc. I cannot figure out how to view a class at a glance to see who has assignments and who does not. It is ridiculous, and I hate it. (Sorry for the mini rant. lol)