March for Our Lives for Kindergarten/1st Grade

>

Dragonflygrl

Dragonflygrl

March for Our Lives for Kindergarten/1st Grade
Old 02-22-2018, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The world has changed yet again in a week. :-(

My hope is the madness stops and until that time we all will continue to do our part for change.

I am sure everyone has heard of the March for Our Lives (*school walkout*) on March 14th. I work in a Kindergarten/1st Grade Building...needless to say a *walkout* is not developmentally appropriate nor are we planning on that taking place.

I/we are trying to come up with ideas to honor the day, as well as, making it meaningful and developmentally appropriate.

Is anything happening at your school that you would like to share?

Thank you for your time.

Vet3Teacher

Old 02-23-2018, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It has not been brought up in our school. My 2 daughters go to the high school and they haven't said anything either. The teachers nor the principal haven't mentioned anything.
Vet3Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ECteachTX

Classroom Kindness
Old 02-28-2018, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hey! I agree with you that it's a really tough situation for early childhood teachers. Hopefully most of our kids have no idea what happened...but some may and it makes for a really tough discussion about safety and dangers in our world.

I personally am planning on attending a local March for Our Lives event on a Saturday, I believe it's March 24th. I will do that with my children ages 3 and 5, I will probably leave the baby at home with Daddy. I am currently out of the classroom but if I was in an EC classroom this year I would probably spend the day focusing on kindness.

Maybe teach special lessons focusing on how we can be kind to others, include everyone, show empathy for those who are hurt or sad. The kids won't really understand the idea behind a walk out, or the politics behind the gun debate, and really...I don't think we need to debate that with them. They do understand kindness though, and like anything else, it's a muscle that needs to be exercised. The more they practice kindness, the better they will be at it, right?

One of my favorite new stories about kindness is the book The Invisible Boy by Trudy Ludwig. You have to read that book! It's heartwarming and it made me cry the first time I read it.

The little boy is drawn almost invisible at the beginning of the story because no one talks to him or plays with him in his class. Then a new kid comes and they become friends. Slowly the invisible boy gets drawn with more and more color until he is no longer invisible because he begins to have a friend. It's touching.

I think that's a great lesson our kids can learn. They need to learn early that including everyone is important. Time and time again we see people who commit great atrocities and they are almost always isolate individuals, outcasts who are not connected to the community around them. We need to do our jobs as educators to make sure no kids are falling through the cracks. It's challenging but this is also why we need to teach more social emotional skills in the early grades. We need our kids to be more inclusive and we need to teach them how to be.

I hope this helps. One day at a time, I really think we can make a difference.
ECteachTX is offline   Reply With Quote