Anyone gone back to being classroom teacher? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Anyone gone back to being classroom teacher?

>

3monkeys

Anyone gone back to being classroom teacher?
Old 02-28-2018, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been a Title I reading teacher for seven years after being a third grade classroom teacher for four years. I am getting antsy for a change. I miss the classroom. I miss teaching all subject matters, don't feel I can be as creative in my current position, and miss having my "own kids." I feel I have become complacent and that is never good. I know that being classroom teacher opens up a "new can of worms" and the workload will be greater, especially the first year, but I think to feel challenged and satisfied with my career, I need the change.

There is a second grade opening in my school. I'm going to talk to my principal about it.

Has anyone made a similar switch? Did you end up happy with your decision?

3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 02-28-2018, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did the same thing. I'm much happier in the classroom. I felt all the same reasons you're feeling. I've never once regretted switching.
Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

I did
Old 02-28-2018, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I made the change from Title I back to a primary level classroom and loved being back in the classroom. I felt like an outsider when I was in Chapter I. I missed working closely and developing friendships with coworkers. Chapter I was a bit isolated in my building. I never regretted my decision.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

sailorsue

I did!
Old 02-28-2018, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Made the move back to homeroom teacher 3 years ago - VERY happy, however, the work load is much more with 9 subjects a day.

My suggestion is make the move if you've the time to dedicate to it - now in my 3rd year it is much easier.....
sailorsue is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 02-28-2018, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was a teacher coach for 3 years and went back to the classroom by choice. Kids are happy people and easy to deal with.

anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-28-2018, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have thought about it, but only have one year of classroom experience, and at this point that was 5 years ago. I just don't think I'd have a chance at getting back into that at this point, especially being sped certified and schools wanting to fill those positions.

It may be different for you as a title 1 teacher. In my area, those are highly coveted positions, so no problems filling them. I've also thought about trying to switch to that, but the positions are always filled internally (teachers within the building already want them), so there is never anything to apply for!

I will say that I often hear from classroom teachers that they've lost most of their chances for creativity. I work in a very low SES school and there is a lot of pressure to teach a certain way and follow programs with fidelity. We also are pressured to use school wide language for academics and behavior, so it's hard to put your "own spin" on things. The behavior has also gotten so much worse in recent years. The insane, screams/tantrums all day, violent, tears up the classroom kid is no longer a rarity, at least in my school. We've gotten to the point where now there are often several such students per classroom. I'm sure it's different in wealthier schools.

I definitely enjoyed having my "own" kids/class and felt far more respected as a classroom teacher. Like a pp said, my position can be isolating. It's also frustrating on days like PD days when everything is focused on the classroom.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Thank you!
Old 03-01-2018, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks so much for all of your insight. I met with my principal today and told her about my interest in the second grade position. She seemed receptive, but (of course) could not give me a definitive answer at this time. I will keep you posted as to what transpires.

Thanks again!
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote