Help

Third Grade

Non-English speaking student

>

frogdogs

Non-English speaking student
Old 02-23-2018, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a brand-new boy who only speaks Spanish, and I am looking for some ideas of things he can do independently when I'm not able to work with him one-on-one. He's on MobyMax and Lexia but I don't want him spending an inordinate amount of time on his iPad. I tried to do a Google search for ideas but just kept getting "fluff work.
Any help would be so appreciated! Thank you!

frogdogs is offline   Reply With Quote

mlady4

How about
Old 02-24-2018, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Math computation practice to do independently? Partner with another student to go over sight words. Allow the student to sit in on small group instruction. Listen to books being read aloud. Often, new language learners have a "silent" period where they are storing a lot of information until they feel more confident.
mlady4 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 02-25-2018, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm hoping the kiddo gets ESOL support and that the teacher is able to be a resource for you.
Quick question: had the student attended school prior to being enrolled in your class? I've found students who have attend school can usually get by in math even if they struggle in the other areas.
I do know what you mean about not wanting to spend too much time on the IPad...but what about EPIC or Tumblebooks or some other place where he can listen to books? Also if you have access to Reading A to Z so he can read a book in Spanish and then in English? If he reads well in Spanish (again if he's gone to school in his home country), the books will obviously be below his level in his native tongue but might help with vocabulary. If you can find books on his level in Spanish to read, that would be great---then he can do the work in Spanish to assess comprehension.
On a practical level, teaching some practical things like being able to ask to use the bathroom would help.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

asnmdirteha

Old 03-02-2018, 02:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have to agree with students being able to adjust between different schools their strongest subject seems to be math. I have a few students who are just learning English and we've been letting them do a bunch of things like sight word coloring (find the same ones) or even reading easy books from the Oxford Reading Tree selections.
asnmdirteha is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 03-02-2018, 03:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've had a new student from Spain that spoke zero English before. Do you have a couple other students that are Spanish speakers? I buddied mine up with one which helped with translating directions. During reading, there are a lot of Spanish books on RAZ kids that I allowed him to access along with beginner English books. During writing, if we weren't doing word study or making words activities, he was allowed to write in Spanish. Math was easier because numbers are pretty universal. There are a lot of dual English/Spanish resources out there so it's not as bad. What was more difficult was getting a student who only spoke French!

pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote