Help

BusyBoard

Eureka math

>

westwood

Eureka math
Old 03-01-2018, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have experience with Eureka Math? Likes, dislikes? Thanks!

westwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 03-01-2018, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like how it breaks down topics and skills. For example Lesson 1 usually starts with hands-on representations of the skill. As you progress, the skill becomes more abstract and there is certainly plenty of opportunities for enrichment and problem solving. I also love the "Sprint" lessons which serve as fluency and review. I like how the unit will also spiral the skills. In my opinion it does the best job of spiraling skills than anything I've seen.

The negatives I've found are when people try to implement with "fidelity." There is a lot in a lesson. Some lessons can easily turn into 2 or even 3 day lessons. There is also sometimes more than you will ever get through. I would definitely recommend it; however, when you implement it know that you have to adjust to your class. Identify what your students need and understand that if they are weak at problem-solving it will certainly take longer on those lessons. People also see it as scripted, but use it to guide your instruction. Don't follow it to the letter. Use it as a jumping off point, and you'll enjoy it.
Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

spedtch08844

Eureka Math
Old 03-01-2018, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have some experience with the 3rd grade program. I used the multiplication and fraction units with my students because the program used by my district didn't provide enough practice. I loved that each lesson built upon the lesson prior, set-by-step. Students built a stronger understanding of each skill. They also introduce several strategies so that students have some choice of what works best for them.
I used the free download, which isn't aesthetically pleasing. I understand the print version is identical to the download. Good luck!
spedtch08844 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 03-02-2018, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are in our third year. I teach 4th. I am not a fan for many reasons. Using the free online program Zearn.org with my students for lots of lessons has made it more bearable.I still supplement a lot because there is not enough practice dir many skills and parts are just so confusing for the students. I used to love teaching math.
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote