Help

Kindergarten

Technology Needs/Wants???

>

iteachk2010

Technology Needs/Wants???
Old 03-03-2018, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our principal shared a Google Sheets with the staff. We are supposed to share our technology needs and wants for the classroom. It is kind of a wish list. We are a Preschool-Grade 1 school. The other schools in our district are moving from iPads to chrome books so they will be able to redistribute those iPads to other classrooms.

Our classrooms currently have a Smartboard and a Hovercam which we use all the time. Right now I have 8 student iPads in my classroom with two or three students assigned to each iPad. I am very thankful for those because when I started out teaching, we had no technology at all. I am going to ask for a class set of iPads because I use Google Classroom with my students. When we are doing projects, it takes longer to complete those projects because of the students sharing the iPads.

My students love the different screen-free coding activities we've done this year. I have the Learning Resources Code and Go Robot Mouse/Maze. We have the Robot Turtles board game. We did an activity on the carpet using the colored squares and cards with directional arrows to guide the mouse (cut out) to get to the cheese (cut out). I found a gingerbread man activity that someone created. Plus I have Scratch, Jr. app.

I know some people are not comfortable with using technology with younger students. I am comfortable with technology as long as there is a balance. My students have opportunities for manipulating materials, doing hands on activities, creating, building and exploring every day, along with physical activity.

What would be some technology items on your wish list?

iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-03-2018, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The only want I have is some beebots for coding. The only other thing I really love having is an apple tv. I actually don't like having ipads or anything, and rarely use them even though we have a bunch. They are more frustrating than anything.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Sbkangas5
Old 03-04-2018, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How do you use the apple TV? What does it do? Does it reflect what is on your iPad screen? Does it have touch screen capabilities like a Smartboard?

We are using Seesaw this year. We have the app on the iPads so students can take photos and share what they are doing with their families. They can record themselves reading books, show the words they built during word work, share a journal entry... All the things are sent to me first for approval. I also add student work, share photos of special events, can send reminders, flyers... to parents through Seesaw. It is a great way to communicate with families. All you need is one iPad. The parents/guardians love it. It gives them a peek into our classroom. You might want to check it out.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote