Help

BusyBoard

Brokenness in the education system

>

PEPteach

Brokenness in the education system
Old 03-03-2018, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm taking a class and we are doing a cultural renewal project in the workplace. I'm trying to land on a specific area of brokenness and come a with a project that focuses on repairing it. So the tough part is that I need to identify something that I have at least a small amount of control over!

So far, I've identified two major areas:
1. Kids coming from broken homes with so many needs. - I can focus on more social/emotional learning.

2. Teacher burnout due to increased demands and needs.- I need to think about what can be done about that.

3. It's too hard to get kids the help they need. - Outside of my control???

Do any of you have any other ideas that come to mind? I can dream as big as I want, but I struggle with the coming up with a plan to address it part.

Any ideas?

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Czechgirl

an idea
Old 03-03-2018, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My teacher friends and I were just discussing this this weekend. We have a PBIS meeting this week and I am bringing to the meeting this exact idea that I am suggesting.

I love the idea of circle time that students can share with the group if they want to on a certain topic. I think our school needs to do this daily in every subject. It only takes 10-15 minutes and then work on academics. I would like to focus on students being happy--rather than slamming academics down their throat. I got the idea from a book called Teach Like Finland. The planning would have to be very intentional, though. I would like our whole school to adopt this. I think it would help with behavior problems.
Czechgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 03-03-2018, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I love the idea of circle time that students can share with the group if they want to on a certain topic. I think our school needs to do this daily in every subject. It only takes 10-15 minutes and then work on academics
And this is where I struggle. I was thinking of doing this for my project. However, we are already supposed to do this 2x daily. The problem? We have no curriculum for it. I start off strong at the beginning of the year and then I get burnt out trying to plan for everything else (with no curriculum). I suppose my project could be developing a curriculum for it?

We have this from Casel:
https://casel.org/wp-content/uploads...mpetencies.pdf
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Lumberman

Lumberman

This is hard to do
Old 03-03-2018, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Beneath the surface there's a lot happening. I don't mean to rock the boat but they're worth investigating:
1. Mismanagement of funds/resources, from iPads in classrooms to hiring practices in schools.
2. Duplication of jobs. Getting 2 or 3 adults to supervise one kid!
3. Ghost students. This may be an attendance issue as well.
4. Teachers assigned in areas they're not certificated or have credentials in.
5. How testing is a big waste because it's connected to publishers of textbooks and other supplemental.

aggie'swife

Old 03-04-2018, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

School structure. Having more than one boss. We have assistant principals, counselors, curriculum coordinators, instructional coaches, IT coaches along with several sped teachers, dyslexic, rti, etc.....all come up with great ideas, but when those ideas are expected to be implemented by the gen ed teacher along with all the accommodations and modifications necessary for sped students, it becomes overwhelming to the gen ed teacher.

Sometimes it seems that the implementation is more to keep an admin with job security more than helping students.

aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

ELL families
Old 03-04-2018, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach in a school that is becoming more culturally diverse. There are many things we have done to improve the relationships between home and school for our ELL families. ELL populations seem to be growing in our city.

Another idea is maybe how to support families with working parent-- how can they still be involved and participate.
slg is offline   Reply With Quote