Parent's Meeting tomorrow ...Help!

>

dollyphin

Parent's Meeting tomorrow ...Help!
Old 03-05-2018, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
Hope everyone is well

I started teaching this year and tomorrow is the parent's meeting..any tips ?
I'm abit nervous to meet them and would appreciate any sort of advice.

Thanks,
Dollyphin

dollyphin is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Thoughts...
Old 03-05-2018, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Be a good listener.

Consider the fact that you could be walking in this parent's shoes. If you were, what would you want to hear from your child's teacher?

Use the sandwich conference policy...
--Begin with something positive.
--Discuss needs the child has and what you can do as a team to improve the needs.
--End with something positive.

Good luck with these conferences.

I predict you will find the apple does not fall far from the tree.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

ConnieW already gave great advice
Old 03-05-2018, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would just add that some parents are nervous as well.

Maybe they had a difficult time in schools themselves for one reason or another and they come to school for the conference with baggage. Smile and welcome them to your school or classroom where the conference is taking place. Thank them for coming to share information with you about their child. Then start with the positive just like ConnieW said. At the end of conference thank them for the their time and tell them you feel you know their child a little better after meeting with them.

Some parents are aware their child is challenging behavior wise and are afraid to hear how naughty their child has been. If you think this might be the case start with something like,"I have lots of good news for you". You can always frame things in a positive light to start. Like, "I wish I had his/her energy."

Or, "Your child is very creative and always thinking of a new way to challenge me." It is all in the way you deliver the hard news. Ask for their help and tell them you know they know their child better than anyone else in the world. This makes them the expert. Then listen like ConnieW said.
They may surprise you with good suggestions. If not you can always just say you will keep that in mind. You can also run some of your ideas like a behavior contract past them and see what they think.

Some parents are nervous that you will tell them their child is struggling academically. So I found that giving a few simple suggestions of how to help their child, can make them feel better. It might just be listening to them read aloud. It might be choral or echo reading with their child. It might be the gift of some flash cards from the dollar store to use for math fact practice at home. Empower the parent to help the child they love and it will make the bitter pill of finding out their are struggling at school a little easier to go down.

Good luck! It does get easier with experience.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote