Help

BusyBoard

Leaving mid-year?

>

NerdTeach

Leaving mid-year?
Old 03-06-2018, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I have been keeping an eye out for jobs that would pay better/offer health benefits. I posted a while ago about a university job that I didn't end up getting. http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=593466

I currently make $20K a year, no health benefits, and I teach 7 courses, one of which is an AP Calc course. I also have to administer SATs at my school, and just keep up on being a teacher with meetings and paperwork, etc.

At any rate, I am interviewing to be the payroll and accounts receivable person for a nursing staffing company on Thursday. If I get the job, that would mean I would leave at 4th quarter in my current school. How bad is this really? This job offers somewhere near $30K, has 401K benefits, health benefits, and probably lower stress. Also, the chances of me getting a better teaching job in Western PA is super low. It's a tough market here.

Is it absolutely the worst thing that I'm very seriously considering this? I feel so guilty about leaving my students with so little time in the school year left. And leaving my administration to try and find someone to sub for the rest of the year with a calc class.....But I doubt the company would hold a job for me for 11 weeks until the school year ends.

So what would you do?

Last edited by NerdTeach; 03-06-2018 at 08:23 AM..
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-06-2018, 05:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Take the job, if it is something you can see yourself doing long term. I think that in order to keep teachers, districts are going to have to up the ante and that won't happen until teachers start realizing that teaching is still a job - not a calling. We sell ourselves short doing that.

More money. Better benefits. Lower stress. What isn't to like? Good luck. In a perfect world, you would be able to finish until the end of the year. But waiting won't be an option. Enjoy the new job.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 03-06-2018, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You do you. You need to take care of yourself first. If that means getting out of a ridiculous situation then do it. The school shouldn't be shocked that you would be looking for something that is more reasonable.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Job
Old 03-06-2018, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Take it. Your stress level will decrease instantly.

I agree with Kahluablast, districts aren't going to realize how much they are putting on our plates until we start jumping ship for better quality jobs.

Additionally, your current job sounds like the district is taking advantage of you/the position.

It will be hard to leave your class, but it's only for 11 weeks. They'll survive.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Take the job
Old 03-06-2018, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I learned the hard way. You do have to think about yourself first. The students, class, school will go on without you.

kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 03-06-2018, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm sorry to say that I also vote with making the change. It will be hard on your students, especially the AP calc students. They will survive.

I was shocked to hear what your current rate of pay is. I made almost that much back in the early 1970's and I was working for a private school and was underpaid. Frankly, the $30K, although a 50% increase over your current salary, is also a low figure. I hope the cost of living in your area is also low because you would be hard-pressed to survive on that in Illinois (but salaries are definitely higher).

Way back when I was in high school, our AP Latin teacher was put on bedrest during a difficult pregnancy. She was out about the last two months of the school year. They were unable to really find a qualified sub. They found someone who could teach Latin I and II, but not the higher levels. We spent the final 2 months working under the supervision of the sub, but receiving no instruction. For what it's worth, I scored a 3 on the AP exam.

If you get a good job offer, take it! Leave good notes and records for whoever takes your place and move on without guilt.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Zizzy

Zizzy

Don't get the job....move
Old 03-06-2018, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Oklahoma might pay a bit less than other states, however, I am in my 1st year teaching. I will make approximately $38,000 - $40,000 my first year of teaching + I will pick up $10,000 at a summer position. Tulsa Public Schools is begging for teachers. The cost of living is pretty decent, I pay $600.00 for rent which includes all utilities, including wifi.

NerdTeach

Old 03-12-2018, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The interview process has gone very well so far! I think that I will most likely get the job. I'm starting to get really excited!

NerdTeach

Old 03-14-2018, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I got the job! My last day at my school will be April 13. I'm already feeling like I have a weight off my shoulders. I feel confident that this was the right decision for me.

Thank you all for your help, encouragement, and support.

kidsrterrific

NerdTeach
Old 03-14-2018, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Congratulations on your new job!

kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote