Help

BusyBoard

Your Opinion on the Best Spelling Program

>

Song of Joy

Your Opinion on the Best Spelling Program
Old 02-20-2018, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

to teach sound patterns and morphology for grades 2-6, and why do you support it?

If you support developing lists from student writing, how do you find time to explicitly teach sound/letter patterns.

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 02-20-2018, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure most people have heard of it but I love All About Spelling. It's a homeschool curriculum but it explicitly teaches all of the spelling rules. It also helps struggling readers. I have used it with 2nd-5th grade in groups as large as 13. I think it could work in a classroom. You'd probably want to break students into groups though like you do with Words Their Way. I feel like it is also fairly reasonably priced.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 02-21-2018, 06:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Lillybabe, that's interesting that you mention All About Spelling because I have been researching a curriculum for our school volunteers to use with struggling readers and was considering using All About Reading with them. Have you also experienced All About Reading?

Lillybabe

Old 02-21-2018, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love love love All About Reading. I own all four levels of it. I bought it myself to use with Title I reading groups a few years ago. Currently I am using level 1 with my kindergarteners. I love that the stories are all decodable. My kindergarteners should get through most of (if not all) of level 1 this year. I have a group who is already on lesson 30 and I think there are around 56 lessons. With my highest group I can often get through a full lesson in 20 minutes. Sometimes I cut some of it (like the fluency pages) as some of my kids just don't need all of the practice it has built in. I put a few of the stories into a readability website to find grade level. Some of the stories covered in level 1 are nearly second grade level. Some may even be higher than that because I am not sure I put in the hardest of the stories. I have used All About Reading with groups as large as 4 and All About Spelling with groups of 10. Both are ideal if you can do them as close to 1-on-1 as possible. With a little work I find I can make one set of cards work for 3-6 students. When I purchased it I bought 3 of each of the workbooks and then laminated the pages. Really I often find I only need 1 laminated copy so if finances are an issue I think you could just purchase 1 workbook, laminate, and use it with groups of 3. I have 3 of each of the readers too.

Song of Joy

Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This helps a lot. We have about 4 volunteers who would like to work with our struggling readers (many are dyslexic). I wanted something that a volunteer could access easily and I thought a homeschool program would be easier for them to follow.

What do you think of Levels 2, 3, 4 for Reading grades 2-6 and Levels 3, 4, 5, for Spelling for Grades 2 - 6 for kids who need intervention?

I like that it's Orton Gillingham based.

Suezie

Curious
Old 02-23-2018, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I put a few of the stories into a readability website to find grade level
Could you share a link to the website? I used to use one a long time ago but can't seem to remember what it was called.
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

All About Reading/Spelling
Old 03-07-2018, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Song of Joy

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I completely missed your reply until now. With All About Spelling you can't start further than level 2 with anyone and they really recommend starting with level 1. Level 2 does review all of the skills taught in level 1 so I think with older students you can successfully skip level 1 if you make sure to take time with the review. It teaches rules many kids don't know. For example, the 5th graders I worked with couldn't alphabetize the letter tiles initially. It took some of them 5+ minutes to put them in order at first. A 1st grader should be able to do this but my struggling 5th graders couldn't. It also teaches things like what are vowels, consonants, and a variety of other rules. I made some pretests if you're interested in them I'll find them for you. Older students should be able to progress through levels 2 and 3 fairly quickly. I would recommend buying levels 1-7 but you could potentially skip level 1.

For All About Reading, there are pretests. A struggling 2nd or 3rd grader could potentially still need level 1. I started my struggling 4th graders at level 3 but had to review some skills taught from level 2. All of the levels build on each other but it is possible to fill in the gaps if they are only missing a few of the skills taught in earlier levels.

Suezie

I just googled text readability and found several. I usually copy the text into several to try to get a consensus on reading level. It's hard to trust just one. I do know that level 1 has cvc, ccvc, cvcc, compound words, and open syllable words (me, no, etc.) which often aren't mastered until first grade. It also has stories with 4 lines of text towards the end. I used the first level with struggling 2nd graders starting in November and many of them still found it challenging. Only 2 of the 10 2nd graders I did this with were struggling enough to qualify for IEPs. The fact is some students just aren't taught how to decode. Or the lessons on decoding move so fast they don't retain them. All About Reading is mastery focused so students stay on level 1 until they master the material.