Now here's a college conundrum... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Now here's a college conundrum...

>

Now here's a college conundrum...
Old 03-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Signed out for privacy reasons, but I had to share this. DS, a high school senior, is finishing up the college application process. He applied to seven universities. So far he's received admission to five. The two private universities have offered a total of more than $200,000 in scholarships and grants over 4 years. So what does he get in the mail today? A letter denying him admission to one of the state universities. No reason why, but the phrasing suggests he's a lousy candidate. It's laughable and insulting all at the same time!

twinmom95

Old 03-08-2018, 02:54 PM

O.m.g.! Well, that shows he wouldn't want to go there anyway
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 03-08-2018, 03:19 PM

He should reply to the rejection letter saying how he is deeply disappointed that he now has to choose from ________ and _____________ universities.
hiker1 is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Colleges
Old 03-08-2018, 04:57 PM

I'm not sure what is laughable about it. State universities can be hard to get into just like private schools. It is unfortunate, however, that the phrasing of the rejection letter is a bit rude.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 03-08-2018, 09:43 PM

Congrats to him! That's excellent! Private universities often offer more money to worthy candidates than people can get from state universities.

Quote:
I'm not sure what is laughable about it. State universities can be hard to get into just like private schools. It is unfortunate, however, that the phrasing of the rejection letter is a bit rude.
Completely agree with this. Plus you don't know what other candidates are, what they're looking for, etc etc. I can't imagine what they said that suggested he was a lousy candidate (vs just saying that there were many excellent applications, etc etc). And I don't think admission denial letters ever say "why." At least they don't in my experience.

I hope he's excited about the 5 places that have offered him admission-- especially those that offer him a lot of money!! I'm hoping we hear similar news on my son's apps

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-09-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I completely agree with this. Unless he did get into Harvard and didnít get into Podunk U, state schools can be very competitive. Ours are much cheaper than private schools and some are on the top 25 lists in the country. Iím a proud graduate of a state school (UCLA) and hope youíre not saying all private schools are better. In fact, we paid for our DD to go to a decent state school as an undergrad and she went to a so-so private school for her MBA because it was almost free when they got done offering her money. I would be very careful about judging.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 03-09-2018, 01:08 PM

Private universities often offer huge scholarships and grants to most of the students. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it is part of their business plan. Few pay full rides.

State universities could be very difficult to get in, especially if there is a specific program your child wanted to be in. They also tend to cap the number of students from different areas of the state to balance their student population.

I'm thrilled your child received lots of money, but I wouldn't read too much in to either the scholarship or the rejection.