BusyBoard

Need Current Events Lesson for National School Walk Out

>

Ali'a

Need Current Events Lesson for National School Walk Out
Old 03-08-2018, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,
Our Social Studies Department is supposed to present a Current Event lesson to educate our students about the walk out next week.
Is anyone aware of a middle school age article we could use as a start. We can't show bias in anyway. Or goal is to teach students about why the walk out may happen and about peaceful protests in general.

Also, curious about backlash from the people against gun laws?

I'd love to hear any thoughts you would have on the subject.

Ali'a is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 03-08-2018, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know about articles but I told my own kid that if he walked out he better damn well believe in the cause / ideology. I don't care if he protests but he better be informed and know what he is protesting. I fear that a lot of kids will walk out because everyone is doing it.

If he protests, he will lose access (supervised and controlled) to his hunting guns indefinitely. He will also be denied time at the shooting range. We have guns but my kids grew up knowing how to use them and respecting them.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ali'a

Old 03-08-2018, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's the reason for the lessons, so that it's done correctly. And everyone who participates knows why they are participating.

Thank you for sharing your view.
Ali'a is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 03-08-2018, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Teddi, I do not want to make this political, but I am baffled by ypur response to your son. Are you taking away the guns as a punishment for skipping school ? Or are you equating participating in the walk-out with being anti-gun for any purpose and therefore taking the guns from him?

OP, I would keep checking NewsELA. I don't see anything there about the walkout yet, but I imagine they will be covering it in these next few days.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

blcw

Teaching tolerance
Old 03-09-2018, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The magazine Teaching Tolerance has some excellent resources on the issues. If your school does not have a subscription (it's free), you can get one. They have a great website full of resources and information. Also, if you have a librarian, ask her. Both Gale and Ebsco databases have a current issues database that is very useful. Gale's is Opposing Viewpoints and Ebsco's is (I think) Issues in Controversy. Check your public library if your school does not have access to databases.

I think the New York times Upfront Magazine also has an issue dedicated to this issue.

blcw

blcw is offline   Reply With Quote