Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Knee question

>

NCteacher

Knee question
Old 03-08-2018, 02:24 PM

I have two bad knees. This isn't a doctor's opinion, just mine. About three weeks ago I slipped a little while walking. Every since then, I've been limping. My knee aches and will suddenly go. Out from under me and I have to grab something to keep from falling over. I think I'm heading toward knee replacement. I watched my dad go through two really rough knee replacements and am not too excited about that. My question is, for those of you with knee issues, what kinds of treatments have you tried or found to be successful? I haven't been to the dr yet, but am planning on making an appointment soon. I know I can't continue like this, it's going to damage my other knee worse from the shift in weight.

NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 03-08-2018, 02:59 PM

Knee replacements have improved greatly over the years. My mother had one done a while back, and then just 3 years later had the other one done and just between the two surgeries there were a lot of advancements. Good luck with whatever you decide
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Abbigal

Old 03-08-2018, 03:13 PM

I'm not sure, but I think if your knee goes out from under you, that could be a sign of a serious injury ( torn ligament or meniscus).

Sounds like you need to go ahead and make that appointment as soon as possible. Icing your knee/OTC pain and inflammation reducers might relieve some of your pain and swelling if that's happening. A simple x-ray and/MRI Will let you know where you stand as far as the condition of your knees

I have knee issues. It seems like in recent years ,doctors will not do knee replacement surgery without trying many alternative approaches... thank goodness!

There is a poster in my knee doctors office. It lists some approaches that are tried before considering knee replacement surgery:
* Weight loss. Losing 1 pound of weight reduces the stress weight on your knee by 4 pounds. In other words if you lose 10 pounds, you are relieving 40 pounds of stress on your knees!
* Icing your knee/over-the-counter inflammation and pain reducers
*Physical therapy that can include recumbent bicycle , swimming, leg exercises to strengthen muscles that support the knees
*Shots
The poster stated that only after all of the above have been tried or a reasonable amount of time, the doctor then looks other alternatives/surgery if x-rays and MRI suggest it is needed .

I would also recommend getting a second opinion if a doctor wants to do knee replacement surgery without trying the above suggestions. Years ago, a replacement recommendation was made, but I went for a second opinion. My new doctor says I'm nowhere near needing a replacement and following his alternative recommendations, I feel much better!

I hope you find some relief for your knee pain.
Abbigal is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

knees
Old 03-08-2018, 03:48 PM

A couple of years ago my knee cap was hurting, it gave out on me when walking, creaked and was a nuisance. I inherited my mom's family's joint problems, so I was worried about what an orthopedist might say. I was pleased when he told me my knees weren't very bad. The MRI showed some damage to my meniscus and it was fixable with a brief operation and therapy.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

knee replacement
Old 03-08-2018, 04:20 PM

They have made great advancements in knee replacements. My DH had his done about 8 years ago. Miserable time for him. I had mine done exactly 4 years ago and it was like night and day from his. They had done some changes and I had very little pain! My DH couldn't believe how easy it was for me. I went through physical therapy without a hitch. Best surgery I ever had and I wouldn't think twice if I had to do the other knee.

Get evaluated.

Catdog12 is online now   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 03-08-2018, 04:24 PM

Thanks! I knew that knee replacement was a last resort. I have inherited by dads joint problems. My knee has always, creaked, cracked and occasionally been painful. It's not swollen and ice hurts. Heat helps a lot more. I'm worried about the cost of treatment and what that treatment will be. From what I've read online, meniscus or ACL damage seems likely. I'm way overweight so I started doing much better with my eating habits.

mhugs

knee
Old 03-08-2018, 05:36 PM

there are lots of new treatments. One is a foam type of injection that cushions the knee joint. Don't neglect your knee but like other poster said don't give into a orthopedic doctor who says knee replacement surgery without exploring less invasive options first.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 03-08-2018, 05:40 PM

I had my right knee replaced in July. Iím not All better...yet, but it takes time. Iím not in constant pain anymore.

Before the replacement I had cortisone shots, which did not help me at all. Then I had Euflexa injections which is a substance to help lubricant the joint. This helped a lot.

I had a meniscus repair and arthritis clean up surgery on my left knee a few years ago. This knee is really in worse shape than the one I had replaced, but it wasnít in as much pain.

Get to the doctor and find out whatís going on.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 03-08-2018, 07:37 PM

I had the gel injected in my knee. That really helped with the arthritis. The thing that almost eliminated my joint pain was the elimination of sugar. In all forms. Entirely. Still pissed by that one.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Update
Old 03-09-2018, 09:29 PM

I went to a walk in clinic today. I don't have a family dr, my ob/gun is my primary care physician. They took several x-rays. I have significant osteoarthritis, several large bone spurs at the bottom of my femur, a worn and jagged looking joint and possible meniscus damage. So I'm on an anti inflammatory, with a brace. I have taken one dose and it is the first time in two weeks I've been pain free. I have a referral to an orthopedic dr. I really liked the dr I saw today. He reaffirmed what you had said about surgery not being the first option, but that it probably would be a consideration down the road. My father had two knee replacements and two hip replacements over the span of about 10 years. The knee replacements were awful and he was never out of pain. He walked better, but was very limited with movement. Swimming was the only exercise he could do. I am younger than he was, and I'm not an athlete, but I would love to be able to play tennis again or do the couch25k again. Not sure that's possible after surgery.