Student Hitting a Teacher - ProTeacher Community

MissMegan

MissMegan

Student Hitting a Teacher
Old 04-18-2008, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There was an incident at my school where a student almost hit a teacher in the face. The student got in the teachers face and was about to smack her. That student was sent to the dean and the very next day that student was back at school.

If this were to happen at your school don't you think the student should have been suspended or even expelled from the school?

The administration at my school is very weak and that is why kids act so out of line. It's like saying that it is okay to do things like this.

SpecialAnne

happen to me
Old 04-18-2008, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

About two weeks ago I was slapped not once but twice by a mentally ill student. I was told by the Sped Director that she would have slapped me too! oy vay... The student was suspended for a day and half...the half being the day it happened... Long story super short... he is still in my classroom...refuses all directions disrupts my class...runs... hides... incites others and the direction to me is that I am to make sure he has a normal day.... Oh the reason it is my fault is because a week and half before he hit me... this director was "observing" in my classroom (behavior room) and this child was not on his meds and I had to keep telling him to sit down... so the day he hit me was after I told him to sit down... he was retaliating... ugh... I am still reeling from all this...
SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

Philliesfan

First Grader Stabbed me
Old 04-18-2008, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had a student stab me in the hand forcefully with a pencil. It punctured my skin and bled. I was holding her hand because she was hitting and kicking other children . She didn't like this and attacked me. She got a one day suspension. Our principal and assistant principal are very supportive, so I was a little disapointed with just a 1 day suspension. If she were older, I guess I could have pressed charges.
Philliesfan is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 04-18-2008, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

File police reports!! Do not allow the administrators to not deal with the situation. If you file a police report they have to deal.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Iep
Old 04-18-2008, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Does the student have an IEP and have/had a manifest determination? Sometimes that is the reason for not removing the student.

If not, then I would think the child would be separated from the teacher and the room for a couple of days for the situation to cool off. sounds like your admin. needs to get a backbone.

teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Barclay

Old 04-18-2008, 10:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When this happened at my school, the student stayed in school and in the teachers classroom. We wonder why teacher's leave in droves???
Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

my experience in MS
Old 04-19-2008, 02:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree that it was the responsibility of the administration to have done something to punish the student. As teachers, we also have the responsibility to try to avoid getting into the sort of confrontation that gives the student the opportunity to do something like this. I attended a bullying workshop when I worked in MS. One thing we were advised to do is to keep a distance from the student. If you get too close, you are pressing against the student and he/she may be likely to feel his/her space is violated. The student may react more strongly physically than if there were a larger space between him/her than the teacher.

Just something to think about when dealing with the older kids.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

yes action would have been taken
Old 04-19-2008, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

they would have been susupended or sent to the alternative learning center (instead of suspended, different learning enviroment).
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherman

Yes
Old 04-19-2008, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Where I work being attacked by a student is considered assault. I'd check with your union or discipline code, but I would think the same rules apply everywhere. You should have the option to press charges (although there are age constraints) and the students should be suspended.
teacherman is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

My room too
Old 04-19-2008, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

This sounds like my class, my student. I'm sorry this is happening,but at the same time I am comforted to know that I am not the only one. We are trying to get a student into a theraputic placement but our district keeps saying that the child is too young. WTH????? If this student receives the help he/she needs early on, then the problem will be solved. I am soooooo tired of one special needs student ruining the classroom for everyone. I wish the parents of regular ed students would start filing complaints. Perhaps then theses students will get the help they need. Also it seems like there are a lot more students who are mentally ill in classrooms. Administration/Districts need to get involved and support the teachers who are dealing with this "new" label.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Speced9

Old 04-19-2008, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Unfortunately, the best thing you can do is file a police report. THE POWERS THAT BE like to have this attitude that it's just child and we should give him a break. I don't feel that way. I look to the future for these children. When they are seventeen and assaulting teachers or the public, the law isn't going to give a rat's butt that this kid has special needs. Even at its earliest stages (i.e. a kindergarten student who hits/kicks) it needs to be nipped in the bud.
Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

almost hitting
Old 04-19-2008, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Some of the other posts had examples of physical assaults, and I believe those would have been seriously addressed at my school. You post describes a student who almost hit a teacher. I'm not sure how that could be grounds for suspension or expulsion.
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

Ontteacher

Happened to me too
Old 04-19-2008, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This student was 15 (sped - mild int. delay) and very big- principal would not do anything - I insisted the police be called. Police came and said they would not do anything because I was in his personal space! WTH!!!!! HE had to enter my personal space to hit me.
Ontteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SpecialAnne

The student....
Old 04-19-2008, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

that hit me....came into my space... He walked up to me and said "I want to talk to you....." I said "please go sit down" He said "I could slap you across the face..." And before I could reply...he did just that!

I got virtually NO support from admin...I did from the assistant principal... No one checked on me etc...ugh!
SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

audriana

when I first started teaching
Old 04-19-2008, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

(inner city school), I had two boys get in my face and start yelling at me. My principal suspended both of them for three days! She said it was threatening behavior.

I loved my principal. I always felt supported. (I loved those kids, too, but that's another crazy story!)
audriana is offline   Reply With Quote

Lizmo

Old 04-20-2008, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

A teacher at my school got hit this year. The child was suspended but then came back to the classroom. This child has anger issues, and I believe he is allowed to get away with a lot of things so that he doesn't get upset. I disagree with this completely. How is he going to learn that things aren't okay if people tiptoe around him all the time? Grrrr!
Lizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
debbiecour

debbiecour

teenager hitting a teacher
Old 03-20-2009, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

your right. I have an adopted teenage girl...I was to strict so she made my life hell. recently she moved in with her friend and her friends mom...she hit a teacher twice on friday and was suspended. now she has to appear at a hearing at school. she is way out of control. i am going to relinquish my parental rights. I can't take anymore. today she was marching around town in short shorts a t-shirt and high heel boots. and it was 20 degrees out. where is the parent?? frustrated deb in new york
injured

injured

special ed
Old 03-21-2009, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I worked in special ed for many years.
During those years I was hit on the head so hard that I blacked out, kicked in the chest, smacked, slapped often, jabbed, hit in the face several times, had obscenities screamed at me, threatened, kicked, had chairs/ small tables/ toys/ objects/ even a computer thrown at me. I was also permanently injured and still have remaining pain years later in my back.

My administrations response? "You need to learn to control your students."
shoved...

shoved...

A slap on the wrist is a slap in the face.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I have had constant issues with an extremely volatile student who is overly aggressive toward everyone in the room (makes great fun for a differentiated classroom) and most currently myself. His history from middle school are pages long of suspensions after suspensions. Most recently I stepped in between him and his cousin he followed out of my room to fight. The cousin was calmly walking into my room when He shoved me and yelled "Man! Move!", the next day He called me a "stupid ass teacher", the day after - before his suspension (we take a while to get to punishments) he stomped dirt all over my room and told me to clean it. He got a 2 day suspension for "disrespect". Needless to say since he's been back his disrespect has escalated.

How do you deal with a student who has no remorse for shoving you? Has no respect for you or anyone? I asked for a permanent removal. At 43 days left it may be a stretch, but I can't teach when I'm in constant reaction mode.