simulations - 6th grade - ProTeacher Community

Hailey

Hailey

simulations - 6th grade
Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi...I have taught 5th grade for 3 years and will have 6th this year. I am a big fan of interact simulations and wonder if anyone has a suggestion for a 6th grade simulation? I teach in CA. Thanks!

Queenie Peavy

Question
Old 06-21-2008, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi Hailey! What is your curriculum? It varies tremendously by state. In Virginia, I teach US History from 1877 in 6th grade.
Queenie Peavy is offline   Reply With Quote
hailey

hailey

CA social studies
Old 06-21-2008, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

CA social studies is world history.....greeks, romans, egyptians, india/china...etc. I teach US in 5th and do the explorer and westward movement simulations.... I love them!

lthompson

Simulations
Old 06-21-2008, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Are these expensive? How much time do you spend on them? I also teach 5th grade so our SS curriculum is also US History. We have to plan everything around THE TEST, but I'd like to know how you handle the simulations. Thanks for sharing!
lthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
hailey

hailey

they are great!
Old 06-21-2008, 09:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am a HUGE fan of the interact simulations...They run about 60 bucks, bu t you would only have to buy that one year if you want to photocopy in the following years. The explorer one I do focuses on colonies and mapping as well as the colonist interactions w/ native americans weather etc. Lots of math. The westward movement one is more problem solving and writing. They are both excellent and take about a month to do, but the kids LOVE them. Definently look into them....know I just have to see if there are suggestions for 6th grade curriculum simulations!

ancientciv

Old 06-22-2008, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach sixth grade world history - prehistory to discovery - woohoo!

I've used Empires, and liked it quite a lot (Fertile Crescent), but I've found that they are very time consuming for the curriculum I have. I've got two trial simulations that I'm very excited about (3 class periods) from Interact - the Trial of Socrates and the Trial of Martin Luther.

Also, there are some awesome books with shorter simulations - I particularly like Hands on History: Ancient Civilizations

http://www.amazon.com/Hands-History-.../dp/1425803695
ancientciv is offline   Reply With Quote