Understanding by Design Lesson Plans - ProTeacher Community

Luv2teach8th

Understanding by Design Lesson Plans
Old 08-09-2008, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our schools is requiring UbD lesson plans this year. Does anyone have any units they would like to share. I teach 8th grade English and Reading. Thanks so much.

Luv2teach8th is offline   Reply With Quote

mamahawk

No plans YET
Old 08-09-2008, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Luv2teach8th - Our school is just beginning UbD. Teachers have gone to a workshop, we're all reading Wiggins/McTighe book over summer, and next week we will begin reviewing UbD videos as part of our pre-school year in-service. We are a long way from lesson plan stage, but I will bookmark this thread to see what others have to say. We're a small K-8 Catholic school in KY. I'm teaching middle school social studies and religion.

I'm curious as to how long you're school has been in the process of implementing UbD.
mamahawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv2teach8th

no time
Old 08-09-2008, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We came back to school and they said this is what we are going to do. I understand the concept, but it is hard for me to think how to do my language arts. It will take me some time.
Luv2teach8th is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Ubd
Old 08-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ugh, we "started" this but admin never really carried through with it. Basically to my understanding, you start with the assessment. So, if you have a test or project, just figure out what activities or lessons will teach students what they need for the assessment...

Sorry, I don't have any examples. Like I said, we got a copy of the book but mine is at school.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

JRichard

Old 08-09-2008, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's planning backwards, but not really starting with the assessment--start with what you want them to know--the "enduring understandings." I usually think of it as, "What should my students remember about X 10 years from now?" Then, you decide what assessment type will prove that the student grasps the enduring understandings. Then, you develop a list of what information they need to be given and skills they will need to practice.

The UbD lesson plans are quite detailed, but at least they are for an entire unit. I have done UbD lesson plans for a couple of the units I do, but not all of them yet. I teach social studies, so they wouldn't really be helpful to you. Try this site, though:

Big Ideas - Exploring the Essential Questions of Education

JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

teachis2love

Simple Idea about UBD
Old 04-15-2010, 09:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Luv2teach8th-Also our school is starting to adapt the ubd. As i know this is a backward design that you have to do. In my part, I do is from the lesson plan i identify the activity which is related to the ubd and i add some missing activity such as hook activity and transfer activity.
Correct me if i'm wrong. thanks...
teachis2love is offline   Reply With Quote